THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    which new bow for elk hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which new bow for elk hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just starting to research new compound bows. I have a Martin Lynx Magnum that I bought new in 1993. I live in Walla Walla and Martin is located in Walla Walla so I do have some brand loyalty but if Martin bows are surpassed by other manufacturers then I will seriously consider another brand.

I want to buy a new compound for elk hunting. Draw length of about 29†and draw weight of at least 70# (my current Martin has a draw length of 30†and weight of 75#). I am getting 218 fps from it with a 532 grain total arrow weight.
Accuracy is very important to me. I am not confident that I could shoot one of the really radical new bows with 325 fps IBO speed and short brace height well. So I want a bow that is as they say forgiving of slight errors in form. But I do not want a slow bow either. One of the main reasons I am considering a new bow is to get one that is considerably faster than my current bow. I will likely continue to shoot aluminum arrows at a similar weight. I hope to pick up 25 or more fps from a new bow. Is that realistic to get that much more speed in a forgiving bow?

Incidentally what makes a bow forgiving other than brace height? I understand why brace height makes a difference (longer brace heights release the arrow from the string sooner so there is less time for the arrow to be affected by the shooter’s poor form) but are there other factors that make one bow with an 8†brace height more forgiving than a different bow of the same brace height?

What all bows should I consider for my given application and desires? I read an interesting in depth comparison of two bows (the 2004 Bowtech Liberty against the 2004 Champion Diablo ETS) at the following link: http://www.huntersfriend.com/shootout/shootout.htm and wonder where I could find other good reviews of new bows. Is the Bowtech Liberty a good choice for hunting elk or would there be better choices? Thanks, Bruin.

Posts: 33 | Location: Walla Walla, WA | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruin,
I'm not sure any particular bow would be more or less suited for elk specifically. LArger game simply requires better penitration weather you use Ke or momentum. I'm not going to debate that here. Truthfully, any of the name brand bow manufacturers make excellent products and it will ultimately come down to what you are the most comfortable with. Other than brace height, a longer axle to axle length is considered more forgiving than "short bows". I have had terrific experiences with both Mathews and Bowtech bows for African game so I would suggest you look at their offerings. As far as comparisons try this:
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2005head2head/
Otherwise mt suggestion is to shoot as many bows as possible with one of your existing arrows (or one of similar spine and weight) and buy what you like best. They'll all kill an Elk.

Cheers

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
Bruin,

I have been a pretty avid bow hunter and archer for several years. I usually trade bows or buy a new bow every year or two. because of that I have shot and owned several bows. most of the major companies have decent bows. However if you are looking for a top of the line production bow you would have to look at mathews or hoyt, Bow-tech or PSE are nice. I have been on a Mathews kick for the last 10 years or so and for my money there is nothing better. The first step is to take a yard stick and put one end against the bottom of your neck extend your arms and with both hands at the same time see how far you can reach at the end of your middle fingers. this will be your draw length. don't believe the little bow with the inches marked on the arrow at the shop. go to a qualified shop that has demo bows shoot several with your draw length and see which one fits you best. The bow should be comfortable to hold and your extended elbow sould not be locked. The shorter the brace height and axle to axle typically mean faster, more hand shock, less accurate. The longer brace height and axle to axle typically means the slower, smoother, more accurate. There is a fine line between the two. You can choose to shoot speed or weight that is your choice. There are pros and cons to each. the thing to remember is most bow makers rate their bows at 5 grains per pound. that means if you shoot a 400 gr arrow you can pull close to 80 lbs for the best preformance. You can get the same speed and preformance out of a 300 gr arrow at 60 lbs ask the shop for the kenetic energy calculations and compare the two.

Good luck and happy hunting

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Mathews bow for some time now. I have shot other bows, but found the Mathews bows work well for me. I started my Mathews kick with the Q2LX and then the Legacy for several years, well today I got the Switch Back, and it is a shooter. I ran about 100 arrows through it throughout the day. My groups were so tight I had to refletch several arrows. So in your search, don't rule out Mathews. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Really, any bow shooting 50# or more will kill elk or most anything else for that matter. I prefer Hoyt bows and shoot a Cyber-Tech model now. Just so you have a comparison, I had my bow dealer set up a Mathews Legacy (I believe that was the one), and the Hoyt identical to each other. The Hoyt was noticably better to me than the Mathews in all departments. If these bow manufacturers were not putting quality products on the market, then they would be out of business real soon, so any major supplier should give you a product you can depend on.

Of course, you will have to decide how much to spend on the setup.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at the new Bowtech Allegance (SP?). They are one of the nicest bows I've seen lately.

I haven't seen the new Matthews Switch Back but, I imagine they are probably pretty nice as well(Pretty Pricey Too!).

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oneida Black Eagle. I have bow hunted for 30+ years and I have owned three bows, first I started with a Bear Whitetail, then I went to a used Screamin' Eagle and now I hunt with a Black Eagle. They hit hard and they are dependable. Good Luck
Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote