New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowfishin' reel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody got any idea where i can get a better reel than my old Bear spool-type? I've heard there are some out there that put less drag on the arrow. Also, any ideas on a smaller diameter fishing arrow for a light bow (my little wifee wants to try it)?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both, a spool and a bow reel. the bow reel is nothing more then a reel seat that mounts on your riser just like the spool does. Our local proshop carries them both.
I like the spool for the larger fish because I've had the guts ripped out of the reel by some nice sized fish.
For the real monsters (100 lb+ gator gar) I have an arrow tied to three heavy duty gallon jugs with about 50 ft of heavy braided nylon.
What seems to help on the lighter draw weight and shorter draw length bows is to cut the arrow down to fit the bow. This also seems to help with arrow deflection in the water.
HTH

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's everything you need but the bow and at a sale price.

click here

[Smile]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SSCoyote,

Check out sully'sbowfishing.com He's got all you will ever need.I would recommend the zero drag retriever bottle.

Good shooting!!!

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Forf.-- did just that and bought some gear and the zero drag system-- already shot a couple carp with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SScoyote,

Just a couple carp???

Come up to the great lakes and wear you arms out shooting carp, gar, and dogfish. [Wink]

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know FF, i wanna shoot a monster gar, aligator and shark, and i'm gonna one of these days!!