THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Starting traditional longbow?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting traditional longbow?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,

I'm looking to get back into traditional archery to do some traditional bowhunting. Any recomendations for a traditional longbow to start with?

I'm a lefty (well left eye dominant), about 6'1", and I use to shot a bow regularly in high school, but that was many moons ago... I'm open to spending up to about $500 or so.

Thanks!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chekmate should have a model or two that suits your budget. They make a good product at an affordable base price, and will customize as well if you want something different. I'm not sure if Bear Archery still makes the Montanna Longbows, they were relatively cheap and make a good starter bow. Tradgang.com. and stickbow.com are great places to learn more about traditional archery as well.

Posts: 44 | Location: Winkler, MB | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushman is right about checkmate. The Montana longbows are ok too. Depends if you want a traditional longbow or one of the newer hybrids-which are really a modified recurve in my opinion. I shoot a hybrid and it has no handshock and is as fast as a recurve. The savanna is also a good choice they spit them out around 180-200 fps. but they are a little jumpy when you shoot them. You also have to decide on whether you want true center shot or a more traditional non center shot. Non center makes arrow shaft selection a lot more important.

Go prowl around at tradgang, or leatherwall and you'll learn lots. if you have specific questions let me know.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
ChekMate is good...I have one of their longbows.
Martin is good...I sold it to get the ChekMate. Frowner
Did I make the right choice? I'm not sure, I should've saved money and had both! Smiler
archer

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chasseur:
Hello all,

I'm looking to get back into traditional archery to do some traditional bowhunting. Any recomendations for a traditional longbow to start with?

I'm a lefty (well left eye dominant), about 6'1", and I use to shot a bow regularly in high school, but that was many moons ago... I'm open to spending up to about $500 or so.

Thanks!

I started in my youth with a longbow and have enjoyed shooting various recurves, longbows and selfbows since. I'm of the opinion it is easier to find a smooth and forgiving recurve at a moderate price than the same in a longbow. I've picked up several older Martin and Bear recurves for much of nothing that were not finiky, shot well and were good for starters as well as seasoned archers.

GVA