Tools

Here's The Story!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
 -

He's got a 13.5 inch spread.

I didn't think this corn fed buck wasn't going to come past me. As has been the case all this season. He's not a buck I had been seeing in these woods so he was a total surprise. I first heard him about 80 yards behind me and he was moving up wind. Then he started moving off away from me browsing when he turned around and walked straight at me. I was 15 feet up in a clump of soft maples.

I drew my bow as he passed a thick clump of trees and he ended up stoping about 20 yards out facing me. Then he looked up. I knew I was busted as his eyes got big. In about 3 microseconds I checked to make sure my sleeve was out of the way, I was looking through my peep and my anchor was on. I aimed for where I figured the heart would be if shot through the front of the chest. The arrow flew as he decided to run but he was too slow. I hit him nearly straight on and my arrow cut his carotid, jugular and burried itself into the heart.

He went sixty yards and in three seconds it was over. I will never forget seeing that arrow hit him. I could see it as he spun and ran. I knew I had him at once.

Was I shaking? Yes, you bet!

Shot placement is everything:
 -

I'll get some more photos later today.

[ 11-05-2002, 18:58: Message edited by: Aspen Hill Farm ]

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, don't you love it when everything just seems to come together. It makes all the times we get "stumped" a lot easier to take just remembering the moments like this.
Once again, Congrats on the nice deer and the great story. It will be a cherrished memory that will be with you forever.
*Nut*

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Ann, for most people that would be a risky shot. Of course I knew you could make it.

Again, Congratulations.
Ol' Sarge

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fine deer and FINE shot!

After missing that nice, nice 8 pointer ... you are an inspiration.

Again, congratulations!

Do wonder if you were using that blind or were in a tree stand?

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT SHOT!!
Congratulations!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I was in a tree stand for this buck. Now I am even for ground and tree stand kills. The rest have all been does.

I should take a photo from my stand to show you what I shot through to get the buck. I cannot believe it went with out hitting a branch. I was concentrating so much I never saw them.

FWIW- I also took a giraffe with the same shot. Yep, a lot bigger target but, well, shot placement is key. I shoot a lot for a reason.

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

So the ground blind works pretty well?

We have a several places where they would be very convenient ... which is the reason I ask.

On the shot ... a great shot gets even better ... almost to the realm of a "fated" shot.

Congratulations again!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Ann

That was a nice shot, congratulations!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Shot and good luck next time

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruz>
posted
Wow, great shot...sounds like you had a "zin" moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, dang! That is all I wanted to know! I saw the pic in another thread and was simply trying to figure out how the heck you did that, Ann. (I saw the last pic only, and just couldn't figure out anything)

~Judy

Posts: 2404 | Location: A Blue State | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
Ann,

Great shot! I have yet to get a deer with my bow yet. So far the score on javelina is 2 for 2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Glenn. I'd love to go bowhunting for javelina. I think it would be interesting to stalk them in the prickly pears!

<GlennB>
posted
Archery javelina season in Arizona is the entire month of January. Let me know if you are interested next year and we can set up a hunt. Archery deer tags are still over the counter (for now, anyway). Sometimes it is possible to take a deer during the javelina hunt.