THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Practice Shooting - How often and how many shots?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practice Shooting - How often and how many shots?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering how often you all shoot your Bows and how many shots you take when practicing?

Question:
How often - on average - do you practice? Forget about the weather as if every day was 70deg, clear and a light breeze.

Choices:
1. One day/week.
2. Two days/week.
3. Three days/week.
4. Four days /week.
5. Five days /week.
6. Six days/week.
7. Seven days/week.
8. Other

Question:
How many shots - on average - do you take when practicing?

Choices:
9. Less than 24.
10. 25<->49.
11. 50<->74.
12. 75<->99.
13. More than 100/practice session.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You didn't ask when I start shooting.....4 to 6 weeks before season.

Started this past weekend.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Ted - a month or 6 weeks before opening day, 5-6 times a week. I start with a dozen or so shots & build up the number as my strength & endurance improves.
By the time the season opens, I am probably shooting 2-3 dozen arrows per session. I quit when fatigue sets in or when I am having trouble holding a steady sight picture so that I won't get into punching my release or other bad habits. Towards opening day, I am most interested in where the first arrow flies, & will occasionally only shoot one or two arrows, then stop for an hour or two and go back "cold". Once I start hunting, I will decrease my practice to a couple of days a week, & fewer arrows at each session as long as my accuracy holds up.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is indeed interesting. I'd have thought you all would have shot more often, meaning more months of the year.

When you start, do you leave your Bow at MAX Draw Weight or crank it down and work up?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to keep my bow and my Gold Tips by my garage door, about 35 yards from my target in the back. Each time I passed by doing chores or coming and going in a car, I would take one shot. When the arrows were used up, I'd retrieve them and start over. It made me concentrate on the one shot, rather than slinging arrows for an hour and getting sloppy.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs has the correct answer. It is much better to shoot 7 days a week 20 times a day with one or two arrows per session than any other type of practice.
But if you like to shoot "once you have your form correct" 3 arrows in a row followed by a short break thruout the day is the most productive practice.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't back my draw weight off - I have used the same weight (60-65 lbs) for whitetails for years. I just start with fewer shots for the first couple of weeks until my shooting muscles get conditioned.
On the trips I have taken for bigger game, or where longer shots are required I have started earlier in the year (late spring) & upped the draw weight to 70-75 after a month or so.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a butt in the back yard and try to shoot at least three times a week all year long. Back yard shooting is mostly for form, indoor 40 yard range is to program my brain for longer distances and "stump shooting" and 3D is for real hunting set ups. I shoot between 1 and 150 arrows per session. Shooting too many arrows is a serious mistake for me and always sets me back in accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
That is indeed interesting. I'd have thought you all would have shot more often, meaning more months of the year.

When you start, do you leave your Bow at MAX Draw Weight or crank it down and work up?

I back the draw down 5 turns each at year end but just for staorage. Your string and buss will thank you for this.

I took it out and cranked it back up the 5 turns measured my referance points and rocked on!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not quite 4 weeks out from an African plains game hunt. I have been shooting regularly since late April and hope to have 3000 arrows flung before I go. I average 150-200 per week now shot over 3-4 times. My accuracy has improved immensely ESP after I bought a new Z7, the best bow I have ever owned. I also think shooting more at 40-50 yes has helped with my form.

Posts: 64 | Location: alaska | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good place to shoot out to 45 yards in the back yard; built a frame/backstop for a hanging bag, block, etc.

When I was bowhunting a lot, I used to shoot relatively high volume a couple of times a week all year long. Most of the shooting was 20 to 30 yards -- most, probably at 20.

As a hunt got closer, the practices became more frequent, less volume, and more customized. Before an elk or caribou hunt, most of the shooting was at 30-45 yards -- with some field trips to shoot at longer ranges (not that I would shoot unwounded game beyond that).

Before an African hunt, most shooting was at 20, with a fair amount at 10 and an equal amount at 30, only a little at the longer ranges.

Gradually, practices became more frequent, with fewer shots per session. Ultimately, becoming every day, with very few shots and increased focus on form and accuracy.

The week before a trip, it was all broadheads. I would often simply walk out in the morning before work and shoot a single shot. If it was perfect, that was it. If it wasn't, I shot another or two until I had one perfect shot and then called it a day. The first shot was and is, the most important in that final phase, but you always want to concentrate on form and end the session with a perfect shot.

That's been my practice regimen. Doesn't quite fit the questionairre.

Posts: 10036 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Normally I would say I shoot all year, not everyday but 2-3 times per week,, the amount and distance I shoot somewhat is guided to where my next hunt was going to be. Having had a shoulder rebuilt in November,, my surgeon didn't want me to shoot for a year,, we compromised on less shots and practice,, after 6 months and tons of rehab I shoot 6 arrows at 20 and 6 at thirty.. Keeps me in tune and no pain to the shoulder,, If I shoot more then shoulder gets sore. I shot good but not great in Africa 2 weeks ago , I wish I could of practiced more..... Shoot as much and as often as you can to improve your hunting success,,,plus it is fun

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hae found that with the new bow sights releases ect it takes a lot less paractice the it did years ago.

I had no trouble taking the bow out yeasterday after not shooting it for a year. Frist shot at 25 dead center 40 yards had no trouble placeing shots with in 4 inchs. At 50 yards 4 of 5 in the bull. Dead deer or what ever.

I'll shoot a couple times a week bow season starts mid Sept.

A heck of a lot differants then fingers and no sights.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the temp was 70 degrees I would shoot a lot more. This summer has been near 100 every day with mosquitoes. Thus my shooting time is limited. Early morning late evening are full of mosquitoes and mid day is hotter than hell with very humid weather. However, those mimic the conditions of early bow season here in the south.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also think shooting more at 40-50 yes has helped with my form.

BIG POINT! If you shoot at 20-30 yards, a "miss" of 3-4" just seems to blend into your grouping. If you start shooting at 50 yards or further, those slight differences in aim or release are magnified, and force you to take corrective action. Once you get used to shooting at 50 yards, you'll be splitting nocks at 25.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote