THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Trouble Sharpening LandSharks

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble Sharpening LandSharks
 Login/Join

<brewtcl>
posted
I have been using Bear Razorheads and Magnus two blades off and on for years. It has been pretty easy to get those sharp for hunting. I was given some Simmons landsharks (125 gr) and I am having a tough time getting the entire blade sharp. Any tips on how to sharpen them and how do you test the sharpness of them? Thanks a head of time for any input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 200gr 2" wide heads and I use a chainsaw file to get the rough edge, then I use the small diamond stones (1"x3") to touch up the blade and finally use a knife steel to take the wire edge off. They will shave the hair off of your arm or leg when I am through.

I like these blades because they stay sharp and if they get bent, by hitting a rock after it goes through an animal, I can straighten them out and do not have to through them away.

John

Posts: 208 | Location: Lat:32.346;Long:86.174 | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you disassemble them into flat pieces, as in individual blades?

If you can, a Lansky knife sharpening system might be ideal, especially the one with the diamond hones.

I use a couple of systems like this on various knives I own and they will certainly shave hair when sharpened. The Lansky takes all the guesswork out of getting the bevels equal and intersecting.

Often times I shape the bevels of a knife and then use the same coarse stone to go through the honing action. This yields the "grabby" edge that I like and its as sharp as any new razor blade.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
brewtcl

I had the best luck using my Lanski (sp) knife sharpener. I believe they also make round files, similar to a chainsaw file, that would really get in that swept back blade.
They are also very hard, so it does take some time. Like JLK said they hold a very good edge once sharp.
One way I test sharpness is by trying to shave off a sliver of my thumbnail. Lay the blade on top of your thumbnail and try to fillet off a thin slice. When you can do that it is way past hair shaving sharp.
God Bless and be careful
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<brewtcl>
posted
Thanks I'll try those tips and see what works.

By the way how do like those big 200gr Landsharks? I thought about trying them, b/c I hve not had blood trails I've liked.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you hit a deer with them it leaves a huge hole, no problem following their trail. I will get a picture of the broadhead tonight and post it tomorrow.

John

Posts: 208 | Location: Lat:32.346;Long:86.174 | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pic's of the simmions head that I use.

Mini meat cleaver.

Length 2.5"
 -

Width 2"
 -

<brewtcl>
posted
wow that is an impressive looking head. Does it take a minimum speed or draw weight to be effective? Does it generally give complete penetration?

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as the blades are kept like they should be, razor sharp, I have had complete pass throughs when shot through the lungs. The only ones that have not passed through have been the ones that hit the shoulder blade. Even those got to the lungs.

Once you get them sharpened the first time it only takes a touch-up with a steel to get them back to shaving again.