THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    What crossbow would you buy and the reason

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What crossbow would you buy and the reason
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I finely took the time to apply for a handicap crossbow permit and got it in the mail.

My permit says it has to be at least 125 pound draw weight. There is no way I can draw the crossbow of that weight back to cock it. I will need some type of mechanical cocking device. I don’t think even with the rope that Excalibur lists that I can pull back one half of the weight. I looked at there crankaroo but it looks to be bulky to carry.

So far I have looked at some of the TenPoint and Excalibur Crossbows.

I am only looking to buy one so I am willing to pay a little more to get quality.
I also do not like the idea of having to unstring a crossbow.

The question is what crossbow would you buy and the reason.

Thanks for your help

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there swede, I just purchased a 10 point pro Slider and its adjustable from 125# pull to 175# pull and its very accurate, it'll shoot a 2 inch group at 40 yards no problem, the only thing bad about it is when you shoot it you cant aim for the same place on the target or you'll ruin arrows quick, its that accurate. And the multi reticle scope it came with works awesome its calibrated for 20-30-40 yrds and it works great. the bow is pretty light compared to others ive handled and it fits me really well. The trigger is very good also. I havent had a chance to kill anything with it yet but hopefully this saturday that'll change. Its the first day of archery here in PA. well i hope i helped you a littl bit and good luck with your decision. Happy hunting

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both companies make a great crossbow.

My suggestion would be to shoot both and see which one suits you best, then buy that one.

One thing to remember though is crossbows, while accurate are a "lower range" weapon than a conventional compound bow.

Due to surgury on BOTH shoulders, my best friend now has to bowhunt with a crossbow.

While is accuracy at thirty and forty yards is phenomenal at 150 pound draw weight, my 70 pound compound with a 29 inch arrow and 100 grain tip will out penetrate his crossbow bolts. Gil has imposed a strict thirty yard limit to shots on game because of the poor penetration.

The thing about crossbow bolts is, they start out incredibly fast, but slow down quickly too, resulting in less kinetic energy. Less kinetic energy means less penetration. And penetration is key to a clean kill.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got two antelope does this fall with an Excalibur Vortex (200#).. one at 47 yds, the other at 59yds.. both pass through.. Check crossbow nation.. lots of good info there.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Ten point gets my vote. I really like the safetys. You cant get your fingers in the way when firing. Veeery accurate too.

I have one a buddy gave me. I let my dad shoot it twice at 40 yds. He had never shot a crossbow before and both bolts would have been in a quarter.

Both will kill plenty well.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excalibur`s are great.Being of a recurve style,they are simple to change strings and service yourself.My trigger is 3 lbs.Best on the market.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.c...d723154ebee4289ca4ab

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you seen the new PSE that is based on an AR-15 lower?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
bought a new Barnett Predator on ebay 2 weeks ago. 2-3 inch groups st 40 yds. using the included rope cocker, draw weight is cut from 175 lbs to half that. have killed 2 wild pigs in my yard in the last week with no problem. all in all, great crossbow so far, costing about half of what a comparable 10 point or excalibur cost.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13148 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Horton Fan

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ten point wont let you down,and if you think you will have trouble cocking it the extra hundred bucks for the crank cock system would be well worth it.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
have you seen the new PSE that is based on an AR-15 lower?

Rich

I have. Price was a little rich for my system. The dealer I was talking to quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500. Didn't really care to spend that much on something to hang off an AR.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Hortons that I really like, the Legend Xl and the team Real Tree.

I have been doing a little research on the new Vision and may be getting one of those for next archery season.

Posts: 4 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I didn't care much for the vibration with Tenpoints and Parkers. I ended up with BowTechs StrykeForce and couldn't be more pleased. Awesome Xbow...Fast and quiet.

Posts: 20 | Location: MI | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Parker Cyclone Extreme Crossbow with Multi-Reticle Scope is what I use.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote