New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picture of Treestand
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought this looked really good till i saw the picture. It's functional though and put together with big screws and bolts. The picture does show how high it is. It looks like the steps are nailed to the tree, but it's actually a ladder made of two 2x6 x 18 foot boards. The camo netting isn't too nice because the staples were the wrong size and i had to tie it up instead of staple it. The climber served as a platform when building the stand. I'll be up in there tomorrow

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It looks good to me!

If you have not done so already, please do yourself a big favor and staple some chickenwire to the floor of the stand. If you don't, the timbre will be as slipply as hell within a couple of months especially with a frost on it.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

Some guys mix sand into paint and apparently that works well especially for painting the rungs on the ladder. For the platform itself, another alternative which works is roofing felt...the stuff that has a grit finish to it...it does not last as long as chickenwire, but if you have some to hand, why not?

Did you use pre treated wood? In our wet climate i have seen similar stands become dangerous in 3 or 4 years as the boards have started to rot. If the wood is not pre treated i am guess you won't want to paint it during the deer season, but again I would recomend a coat or two of fencing preservative every couple of years simply to prolong the life of the stand after all that hard work you put in to it...

Seeing you have a climber, is there a particular reason you went for a fixed stand?

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote