THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    What weight broadhead do you use for hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What weight broadhead do you use for hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted
Hey gang,

I've been trying to research a general issue and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

What weight broadhead do you use for most of your hunting?

Question:
What weight broadhead do you use for hunting?

Choices:
170-180
Other

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I typically hunt only whitetail deer, which aren't really all that hard to kill, and I shoot fairly close range (under 40 yards), so I don't feel the need to have a super heavy arrow/head combination for maximum penetration. 95% of the deer I shoot are complete pass-throughs anyway.

So I shoot an arrow that weighs about 230 grains with a 100 grain head. That works well for me.

I've even taken an American Bison and an Asian Water Buffalo with this setup. The Asian Water Buffalo was the longest to recover. I shot it at about 20 yards, it ran 137 yards and tipped over dead...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 160gr STOS head on a 42gr adapter = 202gr head, mounted on a GT35/55 shaft with a 100gr brass adapter. 300gr up front, total arrow weight is 570gr....all out of a 57# longbow.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what you are hunting. I use a 290 grain arrow with a 100gr broadhead for deer.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
deer 100 gr up
elk 125 gr up
black bear 125 gr up
grizzly 175 gr up
cape buff 400 gr (counting 111 gr insert and 25 gr footer)

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Keep them coming!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I mostly hunt deer and hogs. I shoot low poundage. I make up for it with heavy arrows. My combo flies best with 100 grain broadheads.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
125 for deer, elk moose
310 plus for buff and bigger

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of elkslayer4x5
posted Hide Post
I shoot 100 gr 3 blade Muzzys with the compound, and 125 gr 2 blade Zwickey Eskimos with the recurves.

skin that one out, and I'll get ya another

Posts: 44 | Location: Lane county, Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting a compound at 70lbs, I've shot 75 gr. and 100 gr. -- the 75 gr. on arrows weighing about 360 gr. and the 100 on arrows weighing about 450 gr. -- on game up to kudu size. Both worked well if arrows were well placed, but I very much liked the heavier set-up. It performed flawlessly (althoug it may well have related to better shooting).

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Everything from whitetail to brown bear 100 gr. Slick Trick always gets the job done.

Posts: 26 | Location: Florida | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I presently shoot a 100 grain broadhead with a 30" 3-60 Easton ACC arrow. It flies very well, and 100 grains is the lightest I'd consider. I've had pass-throughs on mature bull elk and shiras moose with this combo, which is what matters the most. Two holes are a big deal in putting an animal down quickly.

Many hunters would do well to try a heavier broadhead, as their arrows tend to fly better with more Forward of Center balance. A cleaner flying arrow is a deeper penetrating arrow, regardless of the type/brand of broadhead.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 100 grain broadheads in Africa x 2 trips. Arrow plus broadhead weight around 440 grains.

For shots up to 50 yards it is great as long as I put the arrow where I want it.

Used same on Sitka Blacktail deer.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 125gr heads, my arrow weight is 580grs,traveling 260fps,31" aluminum shafts and so far no issues.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Posts: 237 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
125 grain Razorcaps on an arrow weighing 425 grains. On 18 African animals only two did not completely pass thru; but it took out a shoulder blade and broke the offside leg trying on a blue wildebeest and broke one shoulder and cracked the other on a 300 lb, 17" Warthog!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
190gr. Simmons Tree Shark.