Notify
Tools

Lochi
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Hey Lochi,

Not sure how often you check into the AR forums but I wanted to comment about "shooting" and hunting. Certainly there are times for both and most of us want to "hunt". But there are often times one must shoot to eat or eliminate varmints from damaging crops or livestock. I see nothing wrong with either, when they are appropriate.

As far as your bush pig hunt, well, sounds like you had good reason.

Surprisingly, I do not feel "wrong" or "bad" for those shoot moments, as most of the time, they are planned. I do hunt when I want a challenge and that is why my freezer isn't as full as I'd like it! [Wink] [Razz]

It is still our firearms season for deer. For just a few more days. I have taken to stalking the thick brush and learning my quarry's habits. Today there was snow so it made tracking their movements much easier. I didn't get one, I didn't even see one but today was hunting. [Big Grin]

December 1st I am back to hunting deer with my bow. Maybe my freezer will be a little fuller. I will also "shoot" some rabbits. I know just where they like to go when they first wake in the evening. My freezer WILL be a little fuller then!

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,
No, I spend too little time reading the forums, working too hard!
I agree with you that there is room for "shooting" too, in fact I often do just that. I would for instance assist with springbok or blesbok culling in the Karoo, when we would fill the bakkie, go drop off at the skinners and go back for more.
Pity is that some "hunters" around here would actually arrange up-front for their once per year hunting trips to be in what we call "diesel stalk" format. That leaves more time for drinking, see. They would then invite friends along to learn how to hunt. Needless to say, these potential newcomers to our sport simply go back to gholf. Foreign hunters who hunt here, are serious hunters, but I cannot say that of many of the locals.

As far as the emotional (and often hypocritical) topic of "ethics" is concerned, I have made up my mind that by far the most important issue is not to make the animals suffer. I have an objective ear for "uneven playing field", "waiting at the water hole", "canning", etc, etc, but one should always try one's best to do a one-shot-clean-kill, whether it be a sable antelope or a squirrel.
my 2c

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote