Find
Notify
Tools

Razor Trick test report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
I have used the 100gr Razor Tricks this past hunting season.

These broad heads are razor sharp out of the packet and it did not take long before I had a cut on on of my fingers while taking the broad head off after it was shot into a broad head butt.

My arrow as Carbon Express Maxima hunter with total arrow weight 420gr.

Bow used was a Bowtech Tribute set at 70#

A nice Blue Wildebeest bull gave me a quartering away shot. He went 80 yards before he ran out of fuel....

He left a good blood trail...

Entrance wound

Again entrance wound

Entrance wound into the chest cavity...

As you can see these broad heads make a huge wound channel.

I shot a double lung shot.

Damage on the one lung...

Exit wound in the chest cavity

Unfortunately I hit the opposite shoulder joint and did not get a pass trough.

The broad head destroyed the opposite shoulder.

Unfortunately did not get a photo of the shoulder before the butcher got hold of it. CRYBABY CRYBABY

I am really impressed with these cut on contact 4 blade broad heads and I can recommend them to hunters that need maximum penetration like female hunters or hunters with a short draw length or hunters that hunt with relatively light draw weights.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. I have had some screwed on for feral hogs over here. I got one earlier this year with them and had similar results.

I hit the trailing edge of the onside shoulder blade, cut two ribs going in and coming out. Found the arrow about 20yds past the impact. The hog only made it about 30 before giving it up.

I was using a Bowtech Tomkat set at 68#, and a 29" Easton FMJ 340 at 470grs and 245fps. The shot was at 25yds.

What was also unique to this shot was the lack of noise at impact. For the most part when you hit something with an arrow you get somewhat of a slap sound, I actually thought I had missed due to nothing but a slight grunt from the hog before it ran off.

I concur with everything you mention about these heads. Also if your concerned with the tip hitting large bone, a quick dress up on it with a file, (directions on the back of the pacakge), and putting a chisel point on it will take care of any of those issues.

Thanks again for the report.

Mike / Tx

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Slick Tricks are a good head. I used one to take a nice blacktail buck a while back.

Out of the box they're great. Once they've been shot though, I found their weakness.
The metal used for the cartridge (not the blades) is softer than I would like and the tips have peened over.

I shot at a jack rabbit this deer season and was totally amazed to see my arrow cork screw and hit way low and left.
I examined the arrow and found that the broad head cartridge was bent and would not pass the spin test.

ST's would be a GREAT head if they would use harder metal in their product to reduce peening and bent heads.

I switched back to Muzzy. The Trocar tip is incredibly hard and sharp.
Yes, you can bend their aluminum heads as well - I've done it. But I feel they're a better product for my used and less expensive to boot.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

BTW: nice wildebeest !!

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktail53,

Do you maybe have photos of the tip bending?

I would love to see them. It might be a new batch that they have used a softer metal.

I have never had this happen to any of my Slick Tricks after full penetration.

Thanks,

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Gerhard,

Sorry, no I don't. I slipped the blades out and tried to file a new tip. Which brings up my point about hardness. I could file the tip quite easily on the ST - but a file won't touch the Trocar tip on a Muzzy. You can even buy replacement tips if needed.

I don't think you can bend either one of those head bodies very easily - not from a full penetrating shot on game where the arrow is spent. But a miss or during practice where you may encounter harder objects can sure do it.

Both heads are good and I'm not trying to sway people opinions, just telling of my own personal experience with the two products.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktail53,

Its a pity but not a problem.

Would have been interesting to see.

Broad heads like Muzzy and Thunder heads have killed a lot of African Plains Game animals.

For me when it comes to bow hunting...

Shoot what you have confidence in and trust. If it is arrows or broad heads it does not matter....

Good hunting this season.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find the comment about durability interesting. For years, I shot nothing but Muzzy broadheads. I loved the way they punched through an animal, the cutting damage they did on their way through, how close to field point POI they shot and how I could resharpen the blades.

But what I didn't like was how many of them I bent when shooting game.

I switched to Slick Trick Magnum 100 broadheads and have killed a big bodied whitetail buck, a good wild boar, a Corsican Ram, a Jacob's Sheep (inadvertantly shot THROUGH the head!), an American Bison and an Asian Water Buffalo, all with the same three heads and blades, simply resharpened.

I have found I have all the same benefits of the Muzzy head, with the increased durability of a steel ferrule over an aluminum one.

I'm certainly impressed with Slick Trick broadheads.....

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shof,

I have used the same Slick Trick broad head on at least 5 different animals.

The ferrule have is still as straight as the day it left the factory. The blades are easy to re sharpen and to get them scary sharp again.

They fly straight @ 287fps out of my 80# Tribute....

ST penetrate like crazy and make a huge hole....

What more can one want in a broad head?

But thats just me.

If another hunter is happy, shoots straight and kills his animals with a Thunder head or Muzzy thats fine by me as its still a fixed blade.

When it comes to mechanical broad heads...

Thats a totally different story

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When it comes to mechanical broad heads...

Thats a totally different story

Amen to that my friend. I know people that swear by them, I swear AT them. I have tried several different brands and just don't like them.

Give me my little Slick Tricks!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktail53:

The metal used for the cartridge (not the blades) is softer than I would like and the tips have peened over.

I shot at a jack rabbit this deer season and was totally amazed to see my arrow cork screw and hit way low and left.
I examined the arrow and found that the broad head cartridge was bent and would not pass the spin test.

ST's would be a GREAT head if they would use harder metal in their product to reduce peening and bent heads.

I have been using Slick Tricks for about 5 years now. I have inadvertently shot a solid concrete post at 10 yards from a bow shooting a 475 grain arrow at 275 fps. I was amazed at the lack of damage on the tip . The tip was still extremely sharp and pointed, the blades were still good. The only problem was that it broke at the threads on the ferrule but I would have expected that considering the circumstances. I have never seen a bent ferrule, only broken ones and they broke because of something I did. We even tested some broadheads through 1/4" steel at the bow shop and the Slick Trick not only survived but you probably could have used it to hunt with. I can't imagine where you got some soft ones.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bowhuntrrl,

Do you maybe have photos of these tests?

Would be interesting to see.

In short,

Slick Tricks have been bomb proof for me.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za