THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Bow you might find interesting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow you might find interesting
 Login/Join

<GSXR7/11>
posted
Here's a bow some of you might find interesting. Mathews Safari custom (factory adjustable from 70-100 lbs, not available in the catalog). Has a cam like a Black Max (the fastest production bow) but with massive draw weight.

Was shooting 83 lbs, 29" draw. Shoots 29" 2613's with 100 gr field points at 245 fps. 74 ft lbs. Those arrows weigh 560 grains all up.

Moved the weight up to 90 lbs. Now it shoots 258 fps with those same arrows! 83 ft lbs!

Thats WITH a loaded string - it has 3 brass nocks on it, a peep, and string leeches....

I'm getting another cam for it, I want to try 30". I'm only 5'4", so I'm afraid it might be a bit much, BUT... I'd sure like to see 270 fps with those arrows!

Going from 245 to 258 made the arrows drop more than a foot less at 50 yards...

Anyways. Just thought some of you might get a kick out of that....

<DOATargets>
posted
GSXR7/11 -
The bow sounds like you like it? I have shot 27inch Easton 2613 arrows with a 125gr Muzzy. I used a Darton Hurricane at was shooting speeds up to 280fps at 60lbs. I would think that you should be hitting faster speeds with that Mathews and suspect that something may not be set correctly.
1) Have you shot paper?
2) have you worked on FOC balance?
3) Are you shooting a release or fingers?
4) Do you have any type of silencing material on the string?
Paper will show if you are not set up correctly ( Rest / nock point / fletch kick / arrow spine )
FOC most performance adjustable and easy
Release is faster.
Any material on the string WILL affect speed.

I would love to hear what that monster will do.
DOA

<GSXR7/11>
posted
27" 2613 with 125 gr point would weigh about 575 grains.

At 280 fps, that would be about 100 ft lbs of energy. That sounds a bit high??

The "worlds fastest production bow" the Mathews Black Max is rated at 252 fps with a 540 grain arrow, 60 lbs at 30". Thats 76 ft lbs. thats "optimum" results as well - nothing on the string, perfect tuning. Real world results would probably be less. Mine were! (own a black max too)
Or, its rated at 330 fps with a 350 grain arrow at 70 lbs and 30". 84 ft lbs this time. Again optimum conditions....

one of us
posted Hide Post
My only questions are how quiet is it and can you draw without much motion just raise your arm to shooting position and draw the string slowly?
Not that it really matters in a target situation only hunting.
Great performance though! I can't wait to see what happens when you get it fitted with the new cam!

Thanks for sharing

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
The "worlds fastest production bow" the Mathews Black Max.

If you say so [Confused] .

Good luck
DOA
AMOSGREG check your e-mail

one of us
posted Hide Post
DOA,
Got it!
Check Yours!

[ 09-18-2002, 19:19: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much does this bow weigh?

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<GSXR7/11>
posted
Thats why when I was talking about the Black Max I put it in "quotes". Simply what Mathews says.

Though, except for BowTech, no one has CLAIMED a higher speed.

But my point was, any way you cut it, a black max is a very fast bow, and it doesn't make anywhere near the energy we were talking about earlier.

As far as my Safari Custom, its 5.5 lbs bare.

I'm not much of a hunter, I mainly just target shoot. I like to experiment though, and push the boundaries.... I'm averaging 5" groups at 50 yards, so, I am probably not going to shoot a HUGE amount better accuracy wise, so... why not push the energy side.

Simply amusing to me to see what can be done

<GSXR7/11>
posted
TO address a couple questions above I missed, yes, i can pull it up and draw it slowly.

Its very quiet believe it or not. Its basically a scaled up and beefed up version of the Mathews Legacy (near parallel limbs, long riser, on the heavy side). Got it equipped with some of the standard vibration killers out there (limbsavers, nice stabilizer, string leeches, etc).

That arrow is kinda heavy too, at 560 grains. I think that helps kill the noise level too. Going up another 15 fps might start adding in some noise though. We'll see....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to hear the report.
Thanks!