New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arrow rests with retention
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has probably been asked before, but what experiences do you fellas have with arrow rests with retention (Whisker biscuit, Quicktune 360, etc.) I'd like to find a good, quiet, tunable rest that holds the arrow securely for treestand hunting, mainly.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You cannot beat the QAD UltraRest in my opinion. It does not interefere with the arrow or fletching at all, it is a drop-away rest.

But it has 100% retention of arrow (as long as the nock does not fall off the string.)

It even keeps the arrow 100% trapped from a full draw and a slow let down.

It went from me being the the only one using it around here last year, to they can't keep it on the shelves at the best local archery shop.

Everybody has loved it for still hunting and tree stands.

If you get a used one then beware - when they first came out there was a production run that was sluggish in the cold (like 10 degrees F and below.) I had one and they replaced it with one that works perfectly, free, no hassles. In other words they stand behind their product.

Quality Archery Designs UltraRest

My twin brother uses a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter. It works well for him but does not have 100% retention. It is just a deep "lizard tongue" rest. It is probably still the most common rest around here.

Both of these work with fast bows, but not all of them do.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
the drop away rests are the only way to go. there are a couple on the market that hold the arrow very securely, and then there are some like the trophy ridge that it just sets on a shelf the arm raises and drops. I have shot several and liked them all except for the mathews drop away.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I use a Whisker Bisquit, best thing since sliced bread !!! Last year I used one on an elk hunt, excellent for stalking with an arrow on the bow when you get close to the elk. Mine was very easy to tune. The only downside is that you need to use good vanes that are stiff. I use Bohning vanes, but Duravanes also work.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a Whisker Bisquit, best thing since sliced bread !!!

You can say that again!! the Wisker Bisquit is the way to go. I like the one w/ the notch so you can drop the arrow in. The WB really holds the arrow well.

I went to the WB because I had two nice bucks come in at the same time and at full draw I managed to drop the arrow off of the rest (Two Prong type). Needless to say, I didn't get one of those bucks and I knew then that something had to give, I purchased a WB and haven't had a problem since.

Good Point about the Fletching, if you get a WB be sure you have quality fletching or the Bisquit will eat em'.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Ultra Rest Drop Away. I used the Wisker Biscuit before I switched to the drop away and will never go back.

It should tell you something when the guy that runs the local archery shop ans has the newest Mathews Bow every year and the newest sights has had the Ultra Drop Away on his last 3 bows.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Whisker Biscuit...love it. Killed lotsa critters with it.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote