THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    bringing archery gear into australia

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bringing archery gear into australia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell me if there are any hoops to jump through in bringing archery gear including broadheads into Australia?

thanks

One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Having made a couple of trips across "the ditch" with my bow from NZ I've had no issues at all. Be patient, tell the customs people what you have and go with the flow. I was challenged once on the bow being a weapon and therefore requiring declaration which is understandable BUT there is no specific or required paper work that I am aware of.Post this up on the Aussie/NZ page and see what the Aussie guys have yo say.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
It may be like Canada: no specific regs on bows, so your experience will depend on the particular customs agent you run across.

So far in Canada I've been chewed out once for answering YES to weapons when carrying a bow, and once for answering NO.

Third time I did not check the square, just put BOW? beside it. Got a dirty look and an "Of course it's a weapon!" She checked the square and no further drama.

Go with the flow is good advice.

Good Luck!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Also, if your bow case can be confused with a rifle case, print BOW EQUIPMENT ONLY and ARCHERY ONLY all over it. It may save you some sidetracked luggage.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Crossbows are strictly forbidden.

Anything else seems to be fair game.

Lots of archery hunters down here.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. So far when travelling I use a rolling rifle case and pack my gear into it and call it "sporting goods/archery gear." Not many hassles so far but I thought I should check about OZ.

thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few crappy, old, worn Music stickers on my gun cases, even some generated by myself on computer and glued on.

Just diverts attention away from hunting / things that might be worth nicking !

did have one bloke come up to me outside the airport while having a smoke and his exact words were "Hey dude, is that a guitar in there" !!! (The Big Black pelican case).

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the large SKB golf bag case and seldom get a second glance. This in spite of the fact that TW's ex-wife proved the golf club to be nearly as lethal as a bow.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of redfern
posted Hide Post
I travel in and out of Sydney airport twice a year with my compound bow. On return to Sydney make sure you mark weapons on the customs card, ensure the arrows and bow are clean, no blood on arrows, no seadheads or grass inside case or on bow etc..
The customs people will want to look at bow and arrows, ask a few questions then allow you through.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellers....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"sporting goods/archery gear."

You could also add " Excercise Equipment / Sporting Goods / archery gear "..

Doctors orders..to stretch your stressed, back muscles Wink

PAPI
archer

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote