New
Find
Notify
Tools

archery adhesive
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been using a couple of different adhesives for fletchings and inserts but I really haven't found anything I'm totally satisfied with. I've even lost inserts with broadheads in targets. I also have trouble getting fletchings to stay put. What do you guys like?

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I use steel force's adhesive for fletchings, the one with the spray on accelerator. All will work well, the biggest problem is getting the shaft extra clean to provide a good bond. I use HOT water and an abrasive cleaner such as Comet, give them a good scrubbing and let them air dry. As for inserts, i had the same problem with inertia driving my inserts out of my shaft. I ended up buying a prep tool to rough up the insides of the shaft, and then clean it out with a q tip and denatured alcohol. After this, gold tips tip grip adhesive has worked extremelly well for me. In both cases i feel proper preperation supercedes the actual adhesive. good luck

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
I agree. Surface preperation is THE most important step. I've also used comet though recently I started using acetone or lacquer thinner (I'm a cabinet maker that usually forgets to buy acetone) and I've had few problems.

To answer your actual question, I use plain ole Lock Tite for feathers and hot melt for the inserts. The prep tool for the inserts sounds interesting.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the best adhesive I've ever seen was Goat Tuff. I worked in an archery shop for a while, and that was all we used when putting arrows together. Seemed to work better than anything else I've used before or since. JMHO

gd

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Bohning Fletchtite Platinum for fletching and 24 hour epoxy for inserts. You need to clean the insert well with alcohol or acetone then you need to scuff the inside of the shaft. I use a clean bronze cleaning brush. You also need to clean the inside of the shaft with alcohol. I used to loose inserts but have not lost any in years since using this technique. The trick with the fletching that I use (per Bohning's instructions) is to clean the shaft well with something like Ajax or Dutch Cleanser. I make a paste with it and water then use a Brillo pad and dipped in the paste and scrub the area to be fletched. Then I rinse it off with hot water and wipe dry with a clean paper towel, being careful not to handle the area with my fingers. Even with brands of fletching that are notorious for coming loose, I don't have any problems.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use fletching tape for my feathers and epoxy for the inserts.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, what I'm hearing is that one adhesive for inserts and fletchings might not be the best. I'll try the epoxy for the inserts. I've been cleaning shafts with acetone. What about the fletchings? Do they need to be cleaned as well?

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't clean my shafts with anything other than a knife to scrape off the old adhesive.

Fletching tape only works with feathers and is what I use. I've not heard of cleaning fletchings but I bet someone someplace does it religiously. Big Grin

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by migra:
Ok, what I'm hearing is that one adhesive for inserts and fletchings might not be the best. I'll try the epoxy for the inserts. I've been cleaning shafts with acetone. What about the fletchings? Do they need to be cleaned as well?

Migra

Acetone is not the best to clean shafts with, particularly carbon, hence the Dutch Cleanser or Ajax. It completely strips any oils and also "scuffs" the surface a bit and I further that by using a Brillo pad with the cleaner paste. Some fletchings have the bases treated with a coating to help stick. Bohning Blazers are one of these that are coated. It's best to check with the fletching manufacturer about their recommendations on cleaning the base of the vane. In my post above, I've given you the best scenario for a carbon arrow and Bohning Blazers. Other vanes might be different.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowhuntrrl,

Very interesting. All this time I thought acetone was the best cleaner. I see your point about AJAX scuffing the arrow giving the adhesive a better surface. I'm guessing you rinse it off afteerwards and set aside to dry?

migra

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I use arrow wraps on my shafts and use Fletch Tite Platinum for fletching.

I use 2 ton epoxy for inserts.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by migra:
Bowhuntrrl,

Very interesting. All this time I thought acetone was the best cleaner. I see your point about AJAX scuffing the arrow giving the adhesive a better surface. I'm guessing you rinse it off afteerwards and set aside to dry?

migra

I should state that I use real feathers to fletch with. I almost never have any issues with poor adhesion, using comit, acetone or lacquer thinner. However, I wasn't aware that some fletch have a coating on the bottom to help adhesion. homer I could see this being a problem because the acetone WILL take everything off.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote