New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For several years my goal has been a B&C buck with a bow. I m, m, mi, missed two of them in Illinois, I got kind of shook up. [Big Grin] Don't get me wrong, I have bowkilled many deer and some pretty good ones but not B&C caliber...yet. [Big Grin]

Anyway I went to Ohio last fall and had an enjoyable time but the big buck that walked under my tree had some deformities on one side and I passed. I was hunting near Londonderry mostly. I have traveled and hunted many years but have never seen any more friendly folks than I met in Ohio last year. [Smile]

I'm going back in a couple of weeks but I have decided to check out some new ground. I'm going to be going to the Muskingum/Coshocton/Guernsey Counties areas. (I love hunting new places)

At any rate, are there any hunters here familiar with this region and if so, could you point me toward an area to check out that may have respectable numbers of deer 4 1/2 or more yrs old?

Guess I'll look at Woodbury and Salt Fork but from what I saw last year, private land permission is no problem in Ohio so I am open to specific leads. I am well armed when it comes to info on property available to hunt but I am short on specific areas where large deer have been seen regularly over the years or even better this summer.

Anyone that can help my boy and me out?

We will be doing what I'd do if I hit the lottery, camping and bowhunting...of course I'd probably buy some property if I hit the lottery. lol. [Smile]

[ 10-13-2002, 21:27: Message edited by: ncboman ]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ncboman,
I sent you a PM.
Give me a call!

[ 10-14-2002, 01:00: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10-4

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ncbowman,

I live in Muskingum county near Dillon state park. We have a large amount of deer in this area but we also have heavy hunting pressure every year. Hunting is the local pastime. The local high schools even cancel classes the first day of deer season so kids can go hunting!

I would guess that most of the deer I have seen in this area are 2 1/2yrs or less. Anything much older got that way by being nocturnal.

If you are a meat hunter (like me) this is a great place to hunt.......But for a trophy hunter, A mature B&C buck is a pretty tall order.

You will probably need to find a farmer with a large tract of private land out away from any public hunting areas.

Good luck!
(They ARE out there...There just uncommon)

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J W

thanks, That's kind of what I figured.

I stuck around last year to "observe" the gun season. I'd heard it was something else. It was. [Big Grin] I attempted to bowhunt thru it. To say it was an educational experience would be an understatement.

I'm glad I did it because now I can understand what the deer go through each year. I doubt many deer can be nocturnal that week and I see how big bucks can get knocked off no matter how smart they are.

I'm glad you posted as you remind me of what I did last year when I saw the relentless drives...and I had almost forgotten. I got my head in my map book and looked for the largest tract of land with no roads going thru it.

This lead me to Vinton county and it turned out to be Mead land which I already had permission on. [Smile] The place had pulpwood roads into it but they were gated and it looked to me like of the hordes of people hunting there, a full 95% were within a mile of the gate... and it may be 15+ miles to the next gate. [Confused]

I saw a handful of hunters with foresight and bicycles and talked to a couple of them (both had killed). They spoke of large rubs "back in there". I think the general unspoken understanding was that it is remote enough in there for deer to evade and live to maturity. I remember thinking . . . . .

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

let me get back to this, I think I should find a bike and hook it up..... [Smile]