New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beaver with a bow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In Finland we hunt quite many of our beavers with a bow, and I'd be interested if you guys abroad do the same?

Our hunting law says that when hunting beaver with a bow, you must attach the arrow to the bow with a line. It has been found to be a very good hunting method, since many beavers are shot from streaming water, and a shot with any gun will lead to the beaver diving into deep water, if it doesn't die instantly. With a bow you have an arrow attached to the bow and you can reel it back even from the bottom and that way you can be sure of bagging your beaver.

Any experiences are welcome.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you do with your beaver after you reel it in? I bet they put up quite a fight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They usually die pretty quickly, if the shot is well placed. I don't actually know what happens if you hit poorly

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that proper shaft spine and weigh are crucial for good penetration on beaver.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shouldn't this last post move to the adult section, Jeff ?

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously to my knowledge Beaver is not allowed to be hunted only trapped. There could be a couple states that allow hunting but I am unaware of them.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would you use a regular fishing type arrow setup? Just wondering if you would need some modified broadhead with barbs following?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beavers are generally considered a pest here and can be shot. I have thought about shooting them with the bow but worry about my arrows getting broken or lost.

How about nutria? They are a real nuisance in this area.

hmmmm, I guess I need to expand my horizons and take a beaver and a nutria with my bow. Ah the challenges of bowhunting.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Would you use a regular fishing type arrow setup? Just wondering if you would need some modified broadhead with barbs following?

A guy that I know who has shot quite a many beavers uses Innerlock broadheads without any extra devices, except the line.His reel is a Retriever with Fastflight line. His bow is something like 58-60 pounds, but some people use even 70 lbs bows. Beavers aren't the easiest animals to kill.