THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Need help with final selection on a bow...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with final selection on a bow...
 Login/Join

<BusPilot>
posted
O.K., after a 13 year lay off, I'm itching to get back into bow hunting. I'm 51 and am recovering from a left rotator cuff injury. Feeling pretty good but don't have the strength I used to. I've tried a lot of bows and the one that seemed to say "take me home" was the Matthews Legacy. Very little vibration or noise. Quiet. A sweetheart! I also am looking at the Matthew Icon, Conquest 3, Darton Avalanche and Buckmaster G2XL. If you have any experience with any of these I'd sure appreciate your help. I'll shoot with a Scott's release and carbon arrows. Not sure on the sight or rest yet. The Legacy, Avalanche and G2XL are strong on my short list. My favorite and close bow shop (with video range) only carries the Matthews, Martin, Hoyt and another brand I'm not interested in, if that's a consideration. Thanks.

<DOATargets>
posted
Buspilot
I am a PSE man after using many other bows but that being said I love Darton and will shoot a Hoyt. Mathews does not fit me at all but if you like it the best then grab it. I also like Bowtech but I'm back to what fits best is best and I am now shooting a four year old bow that simply shoots for me [Smile] .
Let us know your choice
Thanks
DOA

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I say get whichever FEELS right regardless of brand or price.

<Swift Shot>
posted
I think your probable better off with the Mathews.

I think most companies today make at least one good bow in the line up. If you get a chance I would also try to test one of the new Bowtechs. They feel about the same vibration wise and offer a little more energy for the lbs of pull also they offer a lot shorter axle to axle which is a big thing if you stalk in heavy brush like I do.

One of the other things people with shoulder problems forget is to look at total bow weight this can stress the shoulder during the hunt alot. I would recommend a back or hip quiver arrows start to add weight quickly when they are carried half a dozen at a time.

Please dont forget to warm up and get good range of motion before and after shooting.

Good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buspilot,
Of the bows you list, the most important aspect is the availability of qualified technical support. The Mathews is a good bow, my pet peeve of them is that I shoot only 27.25" of actual draw length (that is about 29"AMO draw). The Mathews bows seemed all to lose more arrow velocity for my draw length and lost more actual velocity as arrow weight increased above 5 grains per pound of draw weight. I have recently owned and shot Darton Bows in field competition and have just purchased one for my 14 year old daughter. I like the rampage and maverick models in their line, and the range and ease of draw length adjustment is tops. Getting the proper initial set up is far more important than the brand of equipment. Unless you are mechanically inclined and capable of working on the tuning aspects of your own, go with a reputable pro shop and any brand will work well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mathews. derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Reflex line
they have a bow for about every price range and are excellent shooting Bows
the 03 models are equipped with the cam and 1/2

And theit Caribou is the best compound bow I have seen for finger shooters.

Posts: 4 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would strongly recommend the Hoyt line of bows with the cam and a half technology. Absolute best, quietest and less torque and vibration of anything else on market. They are whipping everyone else in the shoots this year with 8 of 9 wins so far on the pro circuit. Considering Mathews pays over 80-90% of the pro shooters to shoot Mathews and the few remaining are almost all shooting Hoyt and beating the socks off Mathews this year.

I have the new Havotec with the short axle and it is great. I have short draw, shooting 25 1/2" 400 gr arrow at 60 lbs at 242 fps.

BH

Posts: 17 | Location: VA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get the Mathews Legacy, you won't regret it. I can't say the same about the others. I have a Legacy, and wouldn't trade it for two of the others.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to say it (I think they are 60% hype) I'd get the Legacy. I've had shoulder surgery too and believe me, you will feel every vibration from your bow and the Legacy has the least.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I have two friends that both shoot Mathews bows. Each has a few, some real short ones MQ2 & Legacy?(Forgive my Trad. ignorance) and the Conquest with the longer axel to axel lenght.

They both think they like their little speed bows but, both men shoot much better with the Conquests bows. [Wink] I don't know if that model is still in production. The conquest seems more forgiving and might make a better hunting bow.

It may be a bit slower however, a deer doesn't care about how fast the arrow flew.....that killed him. [Big Grin]

Good luck with your bow seach and welcome back to Bowhunting.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote