Notify
Tools

Rain Rain Woooooooops!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted
Hi Folks!
I had another learning experience last night ( hunting that is ) [Wink] . It was raining when I went out and I climbed into my stand that has a nice swivel seat in it. I didn't sing or sharpen Muzzy tips or smoke or make any noise at all. Guess what happens................. A Big Big Buck comes walking carefree right at me. I'm cool calm and collected. He walks under me and starts down toward a trail. I have the perfect shot coming up. Now I start to stand slowly...................................now the part that makes me sick. I am almost ready and a puddle of rain that had collected in my rain gear SPLASHES down and Bucky Blows a curse word and then Blows town [Mad] . After I sat down I started Singing and sharpening Muzzy tips like nothing happened and then cursed all the way back to the truck. Now you ask what did I learn? "Stay home warm and dry".
Its a long season >>>===========> [Roll Eyes]
Turtle [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope BB Don't wear rain gear as all it does is collect water and blow the shot [Big Grin]

Sorry about your luck but the big boys do move in the ugly weather. Good Luck tonight!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
I think I'll bring one of those Delaware Beach umbrellas. Maybe he will think I'm working on a tan [Big Grin] .

I'll get him. Its going to rain again Saterday [Wink]

Turtle [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about having a slob buck walk out in perfect conditions, present a perfect broadside at 15yds, oblivious to you, and you putting it right over his back? I wouldn't feel too bad. it's not like you failed, and it's not like it's as easy as the PETA fruitloops say it is.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Aquavit ........... You seem to be getting [Mad] About your luck so far. You know that this will make you a stronger person that can hold your head high. You get stronger by throwing big rocks and your head is held high because you watch the dear run off. I to am a stronger person [Wink] .
You'll get him. [Smile]
Turtle [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can kind of relate to you story. a few yearsa ago I was on the last compound bow hunt to be allowed on the McAlester Ammo Plant here in Oklahoma (Special Drawing Hunt) The last morning of the hunt it was raining so hard that you could barely see 30 yards but I put on my rain gear and walked the 2 miles to my stand. After about 2 hours in the stand a 150 class 10 point walked within 30 yards of me. Well this is where it get interesting, When I drew my bow it was raining so hard that my peep sight stayed full of water and after a couple of shakes of the bow the buck caught my movement and bid me a quick fairwell. Since then I do not shoot a peep sight but I still like hunting in the rain.

As Fred Bear said, the most important thing to take with you on a hunt is a good excuse.

[ 12-16-2002, 23:52: Message edited by: Handloader ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my best Muley buck in a rain storm. I had been doing spot and stalk, when the rain started. I sat down under a tree and pulled my poncho on. I promptly went to sleep, and when I woke up I was surrounded by deer. I shot my buck at 30 yds, and the resulting tracking job/drag made me decide to quit smoking as well. That was over 25 years ago with my first compound a Bear Whitetail.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote