Find
Notify
Tools

carbon = alum. for wieght
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Most local shooters are telling me to switch from alum. arrows to carbons saying they are tougher and don't get all messed up from practicing a lot. They also say that they are a lot lighter than the alum. arrows so fly flatter/faster. I'm not that concerned with faster arrows, and do not want to give up the weight of my current shafts. Does anyone make a carbon shaft that is still as heavy as an alum. shaft?

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a recurve and switched about 6 years ago. Best move I ever made. Your friends are correct about the strenght of carbons.

Don't worry about arrow wt., from Carbon Express to Alaskian "Safari" Grizzly sticks you can get carbons that wt. 9 to 15 gr. per inch. So you can easily build 600 to 800gr, arrows.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I started bowhunting with XX75 or XX78 2213's, 29" long with a 125 head. Passed through all the time but only 220-235fps.

I began using Golt Tip carbons 5575 28" long with a 100 tip when I bought a Mathews bow in 2001. Shooting about 270fps now. I have about 60-62 ft.lbs. of energy.

There are several carbon arrows that weigh as much as aluminums or close. Tests performed at shotshows to the public demonstrated that the Carbon Express was/is the strongest carbon arrow on the market.

But Beman makes some good heavy arrows and they have been around a long time. This site probably can answer all the questions you have:

vast carbon arrow selection

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have some Beman 300s that are pretty heavy for carbon arrows, They probably weigh 11 or 12 grains/inch. I don't see any need in going any heavier than that, You will come to a "Point of diminishing returns" as they say. Light Super-Fast arrows almost equal Heavy Super-Slow arrows in energy most of the time.

I primarily use PSE Carbon Force Extreme 300s for their light weight and durability.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 2613's and I have shot carbon arrows before, one factor that made me return to alum was rest clearance. I like the room thru my rest that a bigger arrow provides. I also think and this is just a though an observation of my own, barring hitting any thing hard the aluminum arrows just shot better for me.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to carbon 2 years ago when I got a new Martin Magnum.....partly peer pressure and partly just to try something new. I also started using a Carolina Bisket which I love now. 4 deer with it so far and none have gone more that 30 yds after hit with a cut on contact Bear two blade without the bleeders.

One neat shot last fall on a 7 pt...thru the liver..he did the bee sting jump walked about 5 yards looked around and just collaped where he stood. When I unzipped him he was completely full of dark red blood...hope I can do that again this fall!! He dressed 160 and I had to cut him in half to get him on the 4 wheeler by myself.

I really got tired of trying to keep the 2117s straight. With carbon, it's either straight or broken...no in between!! I bought Black Vapors for practice and they worked so well I just used them for hunting too. I have broken a couple shooting stumps, but for the most part they are fine arrows.

Hunt safe and often!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote