New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rest For Feathers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best rest to use with 5" Helical Feathers??

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
<recurve shooter>
posted
TJC , what kind of bow .i can tell you what i use on recurves or long bows .some of my bows have rug rests ,one has a piece of velcro ,a few have thin leather that i have placed a match sized piece of leather under right at the deepest part of the grip .my friend on the recurves he makes shoots right off the wooden shelf but they are cut so very little contact with the arrow shaft .

if you are shooting compounds someone else will answer as i gave them up a few years ago and really started having fun .all the best ---- herb

one of us
posted Hide Post
On both of my bows (recurve and long bow), I use leather shelving. With wood, feather fletched arrows, this is just as quiet as felt...now aluminum is a different monster entirely. Felt seems to be the answer for those things. So long as you don't make any of your shelf material too thick, you should be o.k. (it all comes down to personal preference). Happy shooting.

Posts: 67 | Location: Raleigh,NorthCarolina,USA | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting an Oneida bow. I am leaning toward a bodoodle rest, but am a little concerned about clearance. Thanks, guys.

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
<recurve shooter>
posted
TJC ,
alot of the compound shooters in my club use a wisker biscuit some sort of (funnel thing )seems like it would work for 3D or hunting .-- herb

one of us
posted Hide Post
TJC,

I also recommend the "whisker biscuit" rest. I use it and LOVE it. I did lose about 3fps, but that was worth the other gains. I shoot a MQ-1, at 65lbs with Beman ICS Camo Hunter Plus, they have 4 inch feather fletchings. The feathers will suffer some outer edge wear at first, but it is really negligible. I do a lot of tree stand hunting, and the arrow is SECURED! Give it a look at your local shop.

Bill

Posts: 31 | Location: Berry, Kentucky | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJC,
I also have an Onieda and use the New Archery Products Centerrest. It is a "Plastic" arm version of the flipper and is VERY stable with little to break or wear out.
I havn't gotten a Whisker Biscut yet but thought about it for still hunting.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I also recommend the Whisker Biscuit, it's wonderful.

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Oneida Eagle, and use a Flipper II rest for year's now, no problem's, i find the feather's a lot more forgiving.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I bought a whisker biscuit today, and can't wait to strap it on my bow and shoot some arrows.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
TJC, you will enjoy it.

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote