New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Broadhead choice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tried the Magnus 2 blades this year. The accuracy is far better than I expected competing with field points. Sharpening was very easy using a Lasky sharpener and a diamond hone. I did bend two shooting through my target into a 2" x 4" and trying to get them out. Magnus replaced them free of charge and sent one extra head too.

Only game so far has been a 145 lb. whitetail and it was no contest. Blew completely through at 32 yards.

Good heads!

I just bought some Slick Trick broadheads and am anxious to try them in the enternal search for perfection.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
When the question is African game broadhead, the answer is always 2 blade cut on impact.

LOL...and OF COURSE, some die hard 3 blade or WORSE yet Mechanical head guy will be on here contradicing this wisdom.

I like Steel force's 140gr, glue-on with an adaptor(for 185gr.n) and/or their 200gr. head. The 140 has a very thick ferral and the 200 is Stainless steel.

The light steelforce do have some fold over issues but, I believe that it is due to the Aluminium ferrals on those lighter heads.

I blew right through a big wildebeest with the 140(185) glue-on. I've also killed several big hogs with it too.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am moving to Botswana in early January and am an avid bowhunter, since I have no experience with African game I would like some suggestions on broadhead selection and weight.

I shoot a PSE Fire Flight 33 with PSE Carbon Force Dominator arrows. I have the pull weight at Approx. 70-75lbs and have a 32 inch draw length.

I have the Crimson Talon broadheads that just came out on the market, for whitetail deer and feral hog, but I did not know if these will even do any damage to African game

Posts: 10 | Location: Florida(for now) | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
My good friend was in Africa this year and killed 5 or 6 animals, including Zebra, Gemsbuck, and Kudu all with the 100gr. Montec G5. All were clean kills and some were complete pass throughs, not sure how many though. Another friend that joined him insisted on using a mechanical head and I believe 3 of the 5 animals he shot had to be tracked and finished with the 375.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote