THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    A Novice Asks................Part II

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Novice Asks................Part II
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted
Ladie(s) and Gentlemen,

I wonder could you answer the following question(s) ? I was recently advised on this forum (AR) to ask questions and I would get answers, so I am asking away. After all you can't learn unless you ask.

1. Do you hunt one specific type of game and if so why ? What made you decide on that specific type ? ie: native to your area, type of game that your family members hunted and therefore it is also your game of choice, etc ?

2. If you hunt more than one could you give me an idea of why you like hunting those specific types of game ?

3. Why was bowhunting your hunting method of choice ?

I am interested in deer hunting here in Canada, and learning about hunting, and the nature of hunters as much as possible. My choice of deer is down to influence by my best friend, my father, and my brother who were/are all deer hunters.

Thanks,

Lynn D

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lynn,
To answer you 3rd question first.
Here in Ohio gun season(shotgun and black powder) is 1 week plus a primative weapons(black powder) season of 3 days, once early in selected state land and then also in early January. Bow season starts the first Saturday in October and ends teh last day of January. In a word I bowhunt because it gives me more time to do so.
Second reason has to do with the woods craft necessary to get close enough for a reasonable shot. 30 yards or so here.

1) Primary game - Whitetail deer because thats all I have!
Secondary game - small game like squirrels and rabbits and varmints like Fox and Coyote

2)I have bowhunted in Africa twice and also Montana and Colorado for Elk and Arizona for predators. I LOVE Elk but Africa in total costs is cheaper for me.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hello Lynn,

Welcome to bow hunting, if you take it up!

I hunt the local game, whitetail deer and other small game with my bow and also with firearms. I hunt them for food and much prefer the wild game to store bought meat. I also hunt for the sport and challenge it presents. I find firearms season for deer to be pretty disappointing as it is more of a shoot than a hunt. Also, archery season is three months long so it gives me a lot more excuses to be outdoors!

With bowhunting there is less room for error and you need to be a lot closer to the game which makes it all the more challenge for me. It's harder but it is hunting to me and I enjoy it much more.

I also travel to hunt, been to lovely Canada twice and southern Africa twice. I like the variety the world has to offer in game species. I'd travel MUCH more if I had the resources to do so.

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good questions Lynn,
I suppose my answer will not be typically representative of the average member of this board, since I am not into trophies.
Cost is the determining factor to what I hunt. Since I hunt about 30 of the 52 weekends a year, I would soon shoot myself into a permanent bank overdraft if I were to hunt what I really want to hunt. So, since varmint and cull animals and other types of free-bees are available at little or no cost, I simply indoctrinate myself into wanting to hunt them. You'd be surprised how exciting it can become once you are in control of "levelling the playing field". For instance, I am very successful with calling jackal to my truck at night and plinking them off with the rifle. But the last one I killed was many months ago, since lately I try to call them close enough for the bow. Thus tilting the field in favour of the jackal, hence revitalising my passion for that specific critter.

I travelled to Arizona last year to hunt coyotes (rifle) with my Internet buddies, great experience, made great friends.

In terms of time spent in the bush, I'd say 70% with my bow. 20% with my handguns and 10% with rifle. Decades ago it was 100% rifle, but this shift was all due to continuous effort on my side to hunt more and kill less, since it is the killing that costs money.
To me it must be cheap and difficult, then I'll hunt it.
Lochi.

Ps. I really hope you become a keen bow hunter. [Smile] It is very rewarding and enhances your bushcraft.

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lochi, what ever happened to "cheap and easy"???? [Wink]

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,
You have probably forgotten, but you complimented me on my "tips on how to hunt cheap" website about 2 years ago. You said something positive like: "Nice site Lochi. Keep up the good work. I will check in often." As a computer illiterate I felt good to receive a compliment like that from an elite hunter. Thanx again! [Smile]
Beginning of this year I updated it, so you might just want to "check in" again.
Lochi.

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lochi,

Will do but PLEASE post your link again. I've lost some data over time. Next time I come over we should meet up for a drink somewhere seeing as my first stop is always Joburg and Pretoria.

One of my most wanted African varmints is some baboons. Can't never seem to get close to them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a compliment!
You will not be the first Internet hunting buddy to "decompress" at my place before venturing on to kill animals that I cannot even afford to look at. Most welcome Ann. [Smile]
I cannot gaurantee an uncanned animal, but the chances of a bow baboon is 80% plus for 1 day in a hide. Rifle 95% probability.

www.affordableafricanhunting.co.za

Apologies for the side tracking Lynn.
Lochi.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I hunt whitetail deer and turkey with a bow here in Missouri, because that's what we have. The season is longer and it is a bigger challenge. I have hunted pronghorn antelope and mule deer out west when I lived there - same reasons.

I go to Colorado every year to chase rutting bull elk with my bow. There is NOTHING like having a big bull screaming at you from just a few yards away and all you have is some little sticks. [Big Grin]

I still gun hunt whenever I can but there is a lot fewer hunters out there during bow season, and of course, the rut.

[ 12-01-2002, 23:55: Message edited by: Ol' Sarge ]

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
I have always been fascinated by those who hunt with a bow, it seems to me that it is a very refined art and science. The thought of having to be that much closer to the game is quite mind boggling, the differences between it and gun/rifle hunting are quite defined. I have, and am learning much from your posts, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. After reading them I have a question or two more for each of you, if you do not mind answering them. If you do then I will understand.

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

amosgreg

Africa......a place I can only dream of for now. What was it that you hunted in Africa ? Is there any specific game that you have yet to hunt in Africa that would be your idea of a dream hunt and why ? Would you use a bow ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

Aspen Hill Farm

I guess this is an obvious question, but where did your love for hunting come from ? What was the first species of game you ever hunted for ? If given the opportunity to hunt any species you wanted all expenses paid, where would you go ? What would it be ? Why ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

Lochi

Hunting as much as you do brings you great experiences I am sure. Is there any advice that you could give me to take through my journey in life as a hunter ? Is there any philosophy of hunting that has become part of your journey in life as a hunter ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

Ol' Sarge

I am new to hunting, given me, your choice of bow or gun/rifle and your choice of location. Where would you take me to hunt ? What would we hunt and why would you choose that species for my first hunt with you ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Madddman>
posted
As some here I was always a hunter with a bow because of the length of bow seasons and the extra tags.
3 seasons ago I started with a recurve and entered another world.A world of cedar arrows and shooting and enjoying the flight of the arrow year around.
In the past,I broke the compound out 2 weeks before the season and had at her.
I shoot year around preparing for the season without a thought to using a firearm.

I hunt whitetails and turkeys,with the odd guided hunt that I can afford.

I killed 4 deer this year and if I had a compound,I could've killed 6 or 7,one a Pope and Young.
The 4 I got and the 2 in the 2 years before are priceless though.
Mad

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
Ann and Gentlemen,

It seems I have somehow disturbed the nest of one of your fellow hunters who disapproves of my asking questions on this forum. The "gentleman" for lack of a better word that could be posted here has advised that " I go out and get some years of hunting under my belt" before assuming I have the right to post amongst those who are already true sportsmen. Mind you in the same sentence he hinted he is under the assumption that I have some evil agenda against hunters, and that I am an anti-gun looking to collect top secret information from you all and sell it to the enemy. He was also quite concerned that I was a woman intersted in hunting, apparently that is taboo in his eyes. He did not seem to be able to stick to one reason why I should not be posting here.So all in all, I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't, whichever way I look at it he disapproves of me.

My answer to him is: GET OVER IT BUD, I AM HERE TO STAY !

I came to this forum on the suggestion of my best friend who has encouraged my interest in hunting, and my quest for knowledge on the subject. I have stayed because of the comradery and knowledge I have gained from it. I have asked my questions out of common interest and desire to learn. Answering my questions is a choice of the poster, everyone has the right to post me, or ignore me. I do not mean in any way to disturb the flow of talk and knowledge that is exchanged on this forum. If I offend any of you with my questions I apologize. But if I don't ask I will never know, and loss of the opportunity to derive knowledge is a sad thing.

Lynn D

<Madddman>
posted
If I was offended I would have not responded or responded and told you I was offended.
I care not your female.I care not you could be a "Spy" for I am proud to be a bowhunter and I'm secure in what I do.
If you ask a question that I think my answer would help,I'll answer.
Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lynn,

Yes, now and again we run into someone who disapproves. Why they are so rude is beyond me, I don't even try and speculate. I personally have only had one run in with a rude person on this AR site. He is just an ornery, crabby, evil old man who probably disapproves of everything life brings. I don't waste my time with the likes of people like that as there are many more good people out there.

Now, on to your new questions...

I did not grow up in a sporting family. I am the black sheep though and the only girl. Always have danced to the beat of a different drummer. Anyway, I grew up with a keen sense and interest in nature and that which drives the natural world. As a youth I could be found either in the middle of nowhere on my horse or up to my neck in swamp mud catching critters. I shun the city and urban affairs like a pox. Unfortunately I have to work in it but I don't live in it.

I took up small game when I was in college as I went to school in the UP which was pretty remote and an easy way to enjoy nature. Anyway, the interest grew and I also was a fox hunter for many years (horse and hound type) and then went on to big game. Archery gave me a longer season (and reason) and the added challenge of being up close and personal was too good to pass up for me. I take my bow when ever I travel along with a rifle. No opportunity is wasted.

Big reasons I hunt are to put food on the table and improve quality of life. I also raise my own poultry. I just think the stuff you buy in the store does not have the quality that you get in a game or home raised animal. And there are no hormones, preservatives, antibiotics, pesticides, botulism, salmonella, etc!

Another big reason is the challenge. It keeps my mind and body busy chasing after critters.

For an all expenses trip well, I NEED a few years to live and hunt in Alaska and experience the life and people there. Then off to Africa forever. The why is for the experience, people and challange and variety of species to hunt.

You should do what you are drawn to. If it is hunting do what you can. Learn from those who will teach, avoid the ones who are negative. I started out small and still hunt bunnies and squirrels. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lynn... As for women hunting, I can only say that my wife, much to my joy, has started showing an interest in it, which should make it a lot easier to teach my two daughters.. If there are men out there who are frightened by the prospect of women field dressing a 6 point, then they will get the woman that they deserve. To hell with 'em...they're obviously not comfortable with their equipment... [Eek!]

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
Lynn -
I'll e-mail you some pictures and I'm sure they will speak for them selves.
DOA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be a little late Lynn (work change and the holidays ....)
As for what I hunted in Africa
My primary trophy was Nyala followed by Blue Wildebeast my first trip. I took an Impala on that one.

Pictures from my First trip

My second trip Nyala was alos on the target list and unfortunatly I had 6 within 35 yards but no shooting opportunities.

My Second trip and family Vacation

As for what I WANT to hunt I really want to go for a Leopard and YES with the bow!

Cost - For me living in Ohio, It costs me about the same for a 7 hunting day trip plus 2 or 3 trophies as it would a 7 day Elk hunt to Colorado.
I REALLY love Elk hunting (twice, once to Montana and once to Colorado)but from a financial point of view......

Now I really don't have a desire to take a Cape Buff with the bow [Big Grin]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn D:
Ol' Sarge

I am new to hunting, given me, your choice of bow or gun/rifle and your choice of location. Where would you take me to hunt ? What would we hunt and why would you choose that species for my first hunt with you ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

What, ya inviting yourself along, are ya? [Big Grin]

I'd take ya huntin' on our farm here in SW Missouri for whitetail deer with a rifle. We have over 20 permanent stand scattered around and we can usually get a shot at a decent buck within a day or two. I think stand hunting is the best for a novice as you are concealed and the deer are unaware of your presence. You generally have more time to aim and fire.

Come on down next fall and we'll see what we can come up with. [Big Grin]