New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Bowfishermen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any out there? What do ya' use, and where do ya' go??

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the first thing you may want to check on is what type of licence you need,I live in PA and you can only shoot carp,and you need a fishing licence,I use a spool type setup but I also have a setup that is like the but end of a fishing pole and you put a reel on it,I bought the biggest closed faced reel I could find,but I prefer the spool better,it seems a bit safer,less chance of a tangle up and the line peels off the spool faster,the best time of year for carp in my area is in the spring,they travel up small rivers and streams from a large river(the Susquehanna)to spawn

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowmaker-- i'm using the AMS system, and just love it. I've been going up to one of the mtn. reservoirs, and just having a blast. My wife's Philippino, and eats them, so she just goes crazy when they're hitting the surface. Actually i was wondering if there was anybody from CO besides me that does it. I've found i can take them from about May into September out here, so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im in the same boat you are,I cant get anyone to go with me.the carp run only lasts for a week or 2,they come up the river by the hundreds,last year the river was on the muddy side and made it hard to see them,polarized glasses are a must,I only go in the spring time,mainly because the river is right behind my house and gives me something to to

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Snow-- last year we went up to one of the mtn. lakes just for a family camping deal, so i thougjht why not take my bow, just in case. My wife and i went down to the edge of the lake in the morning, and i didn't see any fish hitting the surface. I asked some of the fishermen there though and they said they could sometimes see some big fish below the surface sihouetted against the deeper rocks swimming by. So i went up on top of some of the rocks, and when the sun came out of the clouds, and reflected off the rocks below the surface, i could see the carp swim by. So i took a couple of shots at them, and lo and behold i hit one. About a 3 footer, and after i landed it, i shot several more in the next couple hours. Man what a blast! I'm gonna try some more lakes this year close to Denver, and see what i can come up with.