Find
Notify
Tools

Good bow to start?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well my wifes friend and her husband both bow hunt. The wife has been after me to set her up with equipment. I wnet over to the local rnage today and shot another friends matthews. Well his was set at 65#+ so this old fart was able to shoot it 5.75 times. Yep couldn't get it to full draw the last time Frowner I know start lighter and work up.

Anyway looking for suggestions for bows to start. My wife is 5'4" with no upper body strength at the current time. I'm 6'1" with less upper body than I thought. Don't want to spend a fortune on what might be a passing fad for us.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Look at the Mission Riot. Very adaptable.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
In order of how well they shot at the range:

K and K Vengeance
Rytera Alien X
martin Prowler or the Exile
Hoyt Ruckus
Fred Bear Encounter

All of these are light weight and have a shorter axle to axle length.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
For some good deals on the bows I mentioned check out the classifieds at archerytalk.com

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Paul: Also consider the Diamond Black Ice. The neat thing about this bow is that it is so shoulder friendly. I am on the verge or rotator cuff issues and this is one of the few bows I can pull with ZERO pain. It is very smooth and easy to shoot as well.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Paul: Also consider the Diamond Black Ice. The neat thing about this bow is that it is so shoulder friendly. I am on the verge or rotator cuff issues and this is one of the few bows I can pull with ZERO pain. It is very smooth and easy to shoot as well.

I too suffer from a rotator cuff injury. The most effective way to alleviate pain is to dial down the poundage, stretch, and to develop a proper draw. But yes, a smooth drawing bow with a decent back wall helps too.

---Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I was just outside unloading the car and the neighbor came over. He said that his wife had won a Hoyt Selena a couple of years ago. He had it up at their Cabin. His wife had never really used it probably less that 50 shots. He said she didn't care for the PINK. He was talking some type of trade for a stock I had he wanted and for me to run a blank through my Shaper. Probably $300 in value. It has some type of sights he didn't remember what.

Is this something to even consider for her? I'm off to do some internet research.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I was just outside unloading the car and the neighbor came over. He said that his wife had won a Hoyt Selena a couple of years ago. He had it up at their Cabin. His wife had never really used it probably less that 50 shots. He said she didn't care for the PINK. He was talking some type of trade for a stock I had he wanted and for me to run a blank through my Shaper. Probably $300 in value. It has some type of sights he didn't remember what.

Is this something to even consider for her? I'm off to do some internet research.

The Hoyt from my understand adjustment (lbs) is in the limbs so you may have to buy another set.

My wife got interested last year in archery and she got the Matthew Mission Craze at a local shop that has indoor range. Bare bow was $300 and adjust 30/70lbs and she started 35# got to legal lbs in 2mos.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Yep, and the Mission Riot works the same, but the word around here is the efficiency increases at the higher settings, so that's the "go to" bow to buy for 12-14 year olds that graduate to hunting.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Hoyt from my understand adjustment (lbs) is in the limbs

Thanks guys. I had "assumed" that they were all like the Matthews I shot the other day and you just dial in the pull weight.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
The Hoyt from my understand adjustment (lbs) is in the limbs

Thanks guys. I had "assumed" that they were all like the Matthews I shot the other day and you just dial in the pull weight.

From what I understand they have 30/40lb limbs and 40/50lbs limbs.

VFW

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mission Craze and Riot bows are the most popular bows at our local club for the very reason Don cited. They are excellent first bows because of the wide range in draw length and draw weight settings capability.

They are also quite affordable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
The Mission Craze and Riot bows are the most popular bows at our local club for the very reason Don cited. They are excellent first bows because of the wide range in draw length and draw weight settings capability.

They are also quite affordable.

Just little up date on my wife and her Craze bow. She been shooting in about year now and she's taken some lessons and shooting pretty good. Her 70th birthdays coming up and she been hinting as they all do when they want something so I told her get a new bow. It should be here next week she got the Hoyt Carbon Element RKT @ 40 to 50lbs real nice bow.

VFW