THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Help With Bow Selection

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help With Bow Selection
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My last bow hunt was over 40 years ago, and I am ready to take up the bow again.

I looked at many bows at the SCI convention, and have been looking at the Cabela's Archery Catalog. Things have really changed since the last time I held a bow

I will use my new bow for Deer and Elk. With all of the equipment available, what does this group suggest? Keep in mind there is always a budget...... Thanks for your help

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBoutfishn,
Best thing I can sat is to find a local proshop that has a range or target setup and allows you to try their bows.
Shoot everything they have and find one YOU like in the price range you are confortable with. Also don't hesitate to try any used bows they have in stock as well.

Find one that you like the looks and feel of and go from there. The most important thing to find is a bow(style and type, Compound, Recurve, Longbow, is unimportant) that you like and feels good to you. You will shoot more if you are comfortable.
Then practice, practice, practice!!!!
If Elk is in the plans for you, you might be better off to find one for Deer hunting (the first year) in a lower draw weight so you can work on your form and learn the basics of shooting and then upgrade (or increase the draw weight) after a season or so. Start with a bow with a draw weight under 55 pounds (Most states have a minimum draw weight around 40 pounds for deer) and after you have shot for several months you will have a good understanding of what you want in a higher poundage bow including sights, rest and the rest of accessories.
I hope this helps!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Any bow, from the newest compound to a simplest selfbow cut from a osage bough with a hachet, drawing 55# can kill every member of the deer family including Moose.

I agree with Amosgreg, you have figure out what you like. Just like firearms we all have our own ideas. The good thing is they all are viable hunting tools with practice.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through this recently, though as a first-timer.

The way I handled it was to go into a bunch of bow shops and talk to the staff, making sure they knew I was starting from absolute zero, had no brand loyalties and just wanted something simple and reliable.

When asked about price range I only ruled out the topmost end ($700 or so, mostly Mathews products in these shops).

Shop #1 ignored me completely in favor of yutzing with the regulars -- until they suddenly shut off all the lights to check out some sight pins. When I started to walk out they asked me if could help me. No, thanks, just looking.

Shop #2 just told me that I needed to buy "Bow X" because it is the perfect one for the beginner. He could well have been right but I had no evidence for believing that except his say-so. Bye-bye again.

Shop #3 told me their archery guys were out but come in when I could spend a couple hours. I did that and they asked a bunch of questions, took a bunch of measurements and set up 3 bows for me to try. One felt heavy and clunky, the second was OK but the handgrip felt as if it had been pre-sharpened at the factory. The third was light and shot well, and also happened to be a little quieter. So I bought that one (all set up with a package including arrow rest, stabilizer, quiver, sights) and with a little practice and coaching from the archery range dudes at my gun club, am pretty happy with my shooting. Sunday evening I nailed the vitals of a 40-yd. coyote target 3 times in a row.

Funny thing is, the bow I ended up buying was "Bow X" recommended at shop #2 -- but at least I feel I understand the choice better.

Other funny thing is that a good and equally inexperienced friend went to shop #3 on my recommendation, went through the same process with the same guys, and bought one of the other bows I tried.

I guess my overall point is that the choice is so personal compared to even a rifle or shotgun, that a totally open mind is the best asset.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
These folks are right on.
Take your time, look around, talk to other archers, shoot some, read what you can and do what feels right!
I am shooting my 4th Mathews, while my son is shooting my first one. I have had great luck with them.
There are alot of qaulity bows out there.
The most important thing is getting it set up correctly with the correct shaft. Then all you have to do is PRACTICE! Oh, and HAVE SOME FUN doing it!
Good luck and welcome back to the archers fire!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yep, all right on here. Bows are like puppies, take a group together and play with them all, one will pick you and that is the one you take home!

Just try lots of them and all different brands. There are many good makes out there and you don't necessarily need to spend big on the "popular" bows to find a good one. You may even want to spend moderately and then in a year or so, graduate to something pricier and fancier.

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have shot and owned several different bows. Person, PSE, Bear, Martin and Mathews.

In my opinion I think the Mathews is by far better for me. Yes, the price is way up there, but well worth it. I have a Mathews Legacy and my son shoots a Mathews Q2XL .

Have the shops let you shot several different bows and see what you feel more comfortable with. Good luck and have fun.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW if you are looking for a book to brush up on terminology, I like "Bowhunting Equipment and Skills" by Dwight Schuh and others (in the "Complete Hunter" series). Good pictures and explanations and pretty up-to-date.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote