Find
Notify
Tools

hunting wildboar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello and happy year to all of you.
As a new year gift I got a new Excalibur Exocet 200, my intention is to use it for wild pigs and red deer, and would like to ask you couple questions.

What will be the maximum distance you think it will be possible to kill a wild pig from?
What can I use to shoot at while practising and do not break my arrows? I mean something cheap I can build up and easly shoot at.

Best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go get yourself a Mackenzie Shot Blocker target or one called "The Block." Both are excellent target backstops.

As for your maximum distance, I wouldn't shoot any further than thirty yards. Once you get much beyond that distance, your arrow penetration will begin to diminish.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you shof.
What about hunting rabbit, pigeons, etc. Which arrow head will you recommend?
I´m eager to begin hunting with my crossbow :-)

Best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For small game like rabbit and pigeon, I'd recommend getting some Judo Points. If you limit yourself to head or chest shots, you won't ruin too much meat!

Judo Points work great for simply stump shooting too.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if you shoot the pigeons in the air you should definately aim for the eye, nothing less will do. Big Grin

Some "snaro points" might be good too, although the judo points are my first choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jajja
No calgary, that will be a terrible mistake because they might see the arrow coming towards them, is always better to the hear archer

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
My max hunting distance is 30 yards.

I dont shoot at rabbits and birds as it becomes quite expensive replacing arrows lost... lol

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerhard, I agree about cost of arrows. I just can't resist a big Canada goose at about 20 yards on a slow flight...I've lost a LOT of arrows on birds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not use Flu-flu arrows when shooting at birds - doves and ducks - surely this will stop you loosing tons of kit - works for me.

..--..

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello boys,
I have already fired my brand new exocet 200 crossbow. It was excelent. I have also tested the selected hunting arrow head to check trayectories.
I shot a 125 grains muzzy 3/16 (the practice blades they gave me in the package) and the shots were hiting exactly same point as the 125 grains non hunting points were hiting. It was an amazing accurate shooting, I´m really happy, now is time for testing it over the wild pigs... will keep you update.

best regards.