THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    After a few years of rest...I'm coming back!!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After a few years of rest...I'm coming back!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
A few years ago (ten or eleven), I opened an archery pro shop. I shot tournaments every weekend and loved archery better than food. To be honest, I burned myself out with too much. When I went to the range, someone was always trying to make a deal or get me to repair this or look at that. I'd had enough and I quit shooting tournaments. It just wasn't fun anymore. I never stopped bowhunting though. Oddly enough, I took my three biggest bucks to date during my absence from the tournament scene.

Now, I have an 8 year old son who loves to shoot his bow. I am so proud that he likes archery better than video games!!! I wanted to return. So last summer, I took him to a local shoot. He enjoyed it so much that he talks about it everytime someone comes to the house and sees his little trophy for the first time.

The problem- I am competitive. I know that I've a long way to go before I can shoot like I once did. I used to preload the limbs of my two cam bows for enhanced performance. I'd shoot a 31" draw module when I only need 29" of draw. The cables were tightened to increase wheel wrap while the string was adjusted to provide 29" of draw length. Do you guys preload today's single cam bows? I also had cam bushings made by a machine shop in southern Indiana because the factory bushings would not withstand a lot of tournament shooting. Do you guys shoot the bows "out of the box?" Does anyone have bow press plans I could see? The last one I built (in 1993) is not designed for the short axle to axle length on today's bows.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote