THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Another bow for the release

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another bow for the release
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Browning Maxim hunter is set up and shoots so good I decided to change my Mirage also. I have been shooting 2317's out of it at 79# with fingers. I went to the shop looking for another Trapdoor. They didn't have any and he talked me into a QAD Ultra rest. Big mistake! The curve in my handle keeps the rest from falling far enough and I was hitting one finger with the vane and the felt was getting cut. I spent half a day machining new fingers out of aluminum, making them smaller and thinner. Now they drop farther and I don't hit them.
First thing I noticed was a low tear in the paper, so I kept raising the nocking point until it was way up. No good at all. I had no left or right tear at all. I then set the tiller at the same for both limbs with almost no effect. Since this problem is caused by too light of an arrow with a release, I kept turning down the bow and the problem went away. At no time did any horizontal tears show up. I now get bullet holes but the funny thing is that I am on 65#, down from 79#. My Maxim hunter is on 74# with the same arrow but since it is a slower cam, I can understand it.
I then sighted it in at 20 yds. First shots were low so I lowered the sight. Next shots were a little high so I adjusted again and hit much higher. Dummy, moved the sight the wrong way. I got it on and the last 3 were in the bull.
Ok, all you guys, why is it that with both bows, I have to shoot at a much lower weight then I do with fingers. I have not chronographed yet, but the last time I tried a release, which was several years ago, I only gained one fps over fingers.
My next set up will be to adjust for my 2419 shafts. I always shot these at 82#. Looks like the weight will come down for these also. I am going to have a big loss of kinetic energy as I was getting over 80 foot pounds before and the release makes me turn the weight down.
I won't know anything until I run them over the chrono. I can't tell if velocity is still up there by shooting. Sight settings between pins seems to be the same. I will post as soon as I do.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote