Find
Notify
Tools

Archery antelope anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I also posted this in Big Game Hunting for extra readers.

I have found a place to hunt antelope that are virtually undisturbed. It takes approx. 5 years to draw a rifle tag, but archery tags are over the counter. This outfitter has had 8 great years of 5x5 mulies, upland birds, coyotes, waterfowl, prairie dogs, turkeys, and whitetail.

He is just getting started with the antelope. He has had 3 rifle hunters in the last 8 years, that's it. One hunter took a nice buck antelope with a bow at his brother's place 4 hours south.

I asked why he hasn't done much in the past and he stated that most of his hunters use firearms and were not interested in archery. This is untapped hunting and he feels as though the hunts will be a "given."

Hunting methods include blinds over waterholes, spot and stalk with a decoy.

My friend from Colorado and I will be his first ever bowhuners and we will be there opening week. We are filming our hunt. Adam, my friend, is a long time videographer for his brothers who guide in WY and Utah. They have several hunting videos out and have a show on the Sportsman's Channel, and soon to be the Men's Channel. We are getting footage for next fall's season.

The outfitter has agreed to reduce the hunt from $1500 to $1000 for hunters who are specifically referred by me. The season begins August 20 and is only closed during a 2 week rifle season in November. He has no other bowhunters booked at this time.

I am not getting anything out of this for referrals above and beyond our first hunt. I'm just trying to do the guy a favor in hopes that he'll scratch my back later. Know what I mean?

There are no references available, obviously. There have been past videos made on this guys ranch in the sand hills and they are A+ quality.

I guess I'm acting somewhat like a pseudo-booking agent because I'm not getting "paid."

All he is asking of Adam and me is airtime on Adam's show, and for me to write up the hunts for submission and publication as I've done with several of my whitetail hunts.

If anyone is interested, Seriously interested, just PM me and we'll go from there.

Currently, the fee includes lodging and meals, and I THINK transportation to and from Chadron airport which is 20 miles from him. Your tag and wildlife stamp is extra and is approx. $143 total, and you can buy it online at outdoornebraska.org. This is a 5 day hunt.

If anyone wants to book the same week that Adam and I are there, (opening week), it is highly likely that you can also be filmed and on the show. Adam just bought new editing equipment and has years of experience of field footage with his brothers in the San Juan region of southern Utah where 400+ bull elk are around every knoll.

I just bought my flight from Cincinnati to Chadron and it was $604 with layover in Denver. Delta and Great Lakes airlines. From what I could see, most all layovers will take you through Denver.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sandhills are the best part of Nebr. in my opinion. Yes, the rifle permits are very tough to draw even for a resident. Should be a great hunt. MY concern would be missing a lope on video bawling

Stevo

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm not concerned about it. If I miss, well, that happens. Part of hunting.

BUT, I HOPE I DON'T!!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns