Find
Notify
Tools

crossbow selection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello.
I´m planning to buy a new crossbow for hunting big game.
I already have Barnett Panzer V which I found nice to learn crossbowing and hunt for small game but is not enought for my new pourpouse.
I would like to have the best available in terms of killing power and distance for shooting efectively.
Budget is not problem and I´m trying to decide between Barnett, Horton, Ten Point, taking into account also durability and perfect working of product.
I would love to hear your advice because is such a big offer in market that I´m lost.

Take care and good hunting.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I've handled one but didn't get to shoot it.

Bow Tech Stryker

It should fit the criteria you mentioned.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you bigguy, I will have a look at it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a ton of them, and always come back to the Hortons. I prefer the Legend 175, but you can get 200 lb x-bows as well. I would check out the Stryker though... I've never shot one, but handled one a while back. Seemed a bit oversized and heavy, although the speed and tradjectory would make up for that. JMHO

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using those crossbows, What kind of arrow head would you recommend for big game? How many blades?

Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
For a crossbow choice, depends on what you like and most importantly how it feels. At first, I thought I was sold on compound x-bows...until I picked one up. I find they are quite a bit more front end heavy then the recurve style. With the recurves, they're wider and you give up some flexibility but I feel better holding one.

Hold up a few different ones and get a feel, then narrow down by preference or reviews.

I personally own a Excalibur Equinox which is a recurve with #250 pull and using a Boo aftermarket string with twin silencers.

Extremely accurate using their arrows along with Stinger SS 100gr broadheads.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you beretta96
I was recommended to buy compound because it will be easier to charge and will last longer.
I already owned recurve crossbow and have the same feelings you have while comparing its handling with compound.
I think it will be just a matter of getting used to it, just like big bore rifles...
The only thing I worry about is to have a weapon able to kill efectively and fast the animal.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I use a Horton with Muzzy broadheads. Work great.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzzy 125 gr three blades?. I have that ones also, but I was thinking in buy two blades arrow heads instead of 3 blades. What do you think?

One of Us
Picture of DaGriz
posted Hide Post
TenPoint, Excalibur. Parker and BowTech all make great crossbows. The only limiting factor is your budget. I suggest you shoot a few to see what feels right for you. I like a compound crossbow for hunting simply because it is narrower and easier to handle in brush and a ground blind.
Most compound crossbows are heavier than recurve crossbows. This year Parker has a new model called the Cyclone that weighs 6.5lbs. It shoots a 430gr arrow at 350fps, lifetime waranty(as does all TenPoint, Excalibur and DS crossbows) and the price is great.

I very much like my TenPoint Profusion. I can take the compound front-end off and put a Recurve front end on in less than 2 minutes. I have the best fo both worlds!

I use Slick Trick Broadheads and Muzzy 100gr 4blades. They both shoot very accurately.
I bought a few innerloc mechanicals just to try. Never used mechanicals, heard about too many probles with them.

Posts: 81 | Location: South Shore of Gitchie Gummi | Registered: 31 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as broadheads are concerned, to be honest it doesn't really matter if you use a 2 or 3 blade broadhead. I've used mechanicals and fixed blade heads, and they both work pretty well on whitetails. You'll get a little less penetration with mechanicals, but I've never lost a deer because of using the "wrong" type of broadhead. I prefer 3 blade heads, but I've used 2 blade broadheads with satisfactory results. JMHO

gd

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
On broadheads you might want to look at Crimson Talon Hyperspeeds. They stabilize from the front, shoot like field-points. They are a fixed six blade with three small bleeder blades between main blades. They increased the thickness of the blades last year also. Look here. www.spintite.com

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
I´ll check out that also.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spanishhunter:
Muzzy 125 gr three blades?. I have that ones also, but I was thinking in buy two blades arrow heads instead of 3 blades. What do you think?

I am using the 100 gr. 3 blade. My accuracy is very good and I have taken a few deer with them. I say stick with the 3 blade.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite has been Rocket Ultimate Steel 100 gr. 3 fixed blade broadheads. Fly like field points out of everything I shoot (crossbows, compounds, longbows) penetrate extremely well, and drop game quickly. For the price, they're hard to beat.

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Griz on the process of choosing a bow. Your choice somewhat depends on whether you have physical limitations that prevent cocking a heavy-pull bow. I started with a 225 lb Equinox but found cocking too physically taxing. Plus the bow virtually 'ate' servings. So I downsized to more manageable bows.
Compound bows may be easier to pull but are more maintenance intensive. Recurves are generally wider but simpler, much more durable, easier to maintain and more accurate (I shoot both regularly).
I've gotten best accuracy with smallish 4 bladed broadheads. Larger heads tend to make the CB arrow plane, thereby affecting accuracy one arrow to the next. Moreover, with Slick Trick mags I find no need to practice with broadheads, since they shoot to the same point as my fieldtips. Plus, they give awesome terminal performance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Excalibur and really like it, have taken about 10 deer now and it has never failed to perform.