New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pope & Young
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a post on Big game hunting on my opening day bear archery harvest 9-10-05 with pics.Do i have too wait 2 months to have his skull scored for pope & young measurement and what would you do to clean it?Can Boilling make it shrink any more than just sitting out side?Has anyone got a pope & young animal in the record books?What all is involved?Do i have to be a member?
Thanks in advance for the helpthumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dropped my membership in P&Y due to the way its being run. If I remember right you have to let the skull dry "under normal conditions" for 60 days from the time it was killed, before it can be measured. You do have to be a member to make an entry. You have to have it measured by an official P&Y scorer and send the measuring form with a check, I think its $20. They also have a form for you to fill out, with kill info etc. They also request photos of the skull. 18" is the min. for black bear, that is the total of the length and width of the skull. I always had the best luck by boiling the skulls, but they don't really need to boil, just a low simmer and only long enough to loosen the tissue. If you cook it to long all the teeth will fall out and you will need to get them glued back into the right place. Put some laundry detergent with whitener in the boiling water and the skull will come out nice and white. Let it dry in the sun. You won't lose much if anything in measurements, the skull tends to shorten a bit, but get wider, so its a break even deal.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
loboga, sorry you have bad feelings with such a great organization as the Pope and Young Club. I hope that you expressed your feelings with the club.
As far as your skull BBHntr, it needs to be cleaned and than dried at ambient room temperature for a minimum of 60 days before an official score can be made.
I would not recomend boiling as it can ruin the bone. You can soak it in water, and let the meat rot off but that is a very smelly thing! Smiler
I would send it off to have it cleaned with beetles. Take a look at Skulls Unlimited.
You do not need to be a member of the club to enter you trophy. To be a member, unlike a lot of folks think, you do not need an animal in the records book. You must have taken an adult North American big game animal with archery equipmet. A white tail doe would be an example.
Take a look at the web site and all the information is there.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skulls unlimted is perfect!Thanks Bigtime for the help friends. thumb
I hope you guys get a bigun! wave

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Pic of my Snuffer,she really did her job well.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a list of the Pope and Young entries from Georgia?Does there record book list all entries from all states?I measured my green bear skull and he will be awful close to the minimum of 18inches if he doesnt shrink much.Just wondered how to find out how many have been harvested and recorded from georgia.. I shipped out the skull today to skulls unlimted for bug cleaningthumb
Also found a website called skull taxidermy that will bronze,copper,nickle silver skulls for display.They look pretty cool check them out,they do all animals,I got my old bear skull i think i might do with them.Cant make up my mind which one i like best.Maybe bronze?I dont know how to post the link,maybe someone will. wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I contacted pope& young,They said the best bear from georgia is 21 13/16,They didnt say anything about other bears from my state....
Does the record book have all entries or just the top scores?I never had a spare 50.00$ to spend on one to just look up a few trophys........It seems some of this info is kinda secret.I did a search on google and everwhere inbetween and cant find anything much on any state records.I did see where chuck adams has the record elk.The record blackbear is from california and the record Brown Bear just has got to be seen to believe!.
My state will not allow any firearm to be carried while archery bear hunting or any game, with a bow in archery only season...........When you track after a hit you only use your bow,no guns allowed for any reason! Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats the world record brown bear with Mr.Brittingham.Thats a nicen! clap