THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Product Tryout- Interesting Results

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Product Tryout- Interesting Results
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Hey, I was given a sample of James Valley "leathal weapon" scent. I got it in Saturday's mail (10-26-02) and went out that afternoon to give it a try. I was also taking out a new Ameristep "Outhouse" blind. So I had this new scent and a new blind. I was hunting a massive set of scrapes under a basswood tree in the Michigan woods.

I set my blind up 10 yards from one of the scrapes and blended it in with the brush. Then I set out the scent. I put it on the branch over the scrape and some on an exposed root in the scrape itself. From there it was time to set quietly in the blind. It began to rain, and the rain got to be pretty steady, yet I was nice and dry.

An hour later I saw a deer. Not just a deer, a buck! He came in very slowly during the rain and I could see he was a 6 point, thick main beams but short tines and no browtines. Unfortunately he did not come close enough (40 yards is too far for me and the bow) but was very curious about the scent. He never knew I was there.

Next day (Sunday, today)

I walked out at about 3pm. I saw that the scrapes had new deer tracks in them. That was good! That meant for sure the blind did not affect the buck. I added a little more scent and sat down in the blind. At 4:30 I heard a lot of noise coming throught he woods. Turns out it is a doe with her triplets in tow. The galloped right up to the scrape just FEET away from me and the fawns played around while momma checked the scrape out. They were there for 15 minutes! It was neat! I didn't take her as I am hunting this buck. Excellent two days experience. This scent does not spook deer. Neither does the blind.

Can't wait to get out there after work tomorrow!

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt!
I recieved my sample of "magic" the other day but have not been out to try it. I will be in Missouri the 8th for a few days and will be giving it a try.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have the same blind but have not had a chance to try it out....how did yall obtain the sent sample?
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Russ D>
posted
Ann, is there room in that blind for a standing shot or do you sit on a dove stool and shoot seated?Thanks, Russ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that one I have to kneel. I also got the "doghouse" and found it to be roomier for bowhunting. I will use the "outhouse" for firearms season starting Friday. One cannot draw a bow standing in the "doghouse", at least I can't. It is too narrow at the top. Great for guns though.