New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bloodtrail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today my husband was hunting in the blind on hill above me when i heard his bow and then i heard deer crashing through the brush but then they stopped. He said after he shot they seemed afraid to go over the hill and were confused and came back so he took another shot at different one, but he thinks he may have missed that one. He definitely hit the first one and we followed the blood trail for about two hours.

There was a good spattering of blood and some places it would be thick like the deer had stood there awhile. It went across hill, over the top and down toward brush. It looked like it sort of stumbled down a bank, because the leaves were so messed up. Then it laid down and really soaked the ground with blood. That really threw us off till we figured out that it back tracked there. So we followed the trail back and found where it branched off and went back near our property line. There it probably went down the hill in some more thick brush, but it was getting late and so we stopped looking till tomorrow.

He said it blew fur out the other side. I didn't see the fur, so i asked what color it was and he said white? Thinking that could be belly hair. It bled a lot, though. I hope we can find it, and the arrows, too. He shot two arrows we didn't recover, plus lost one somehow.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A blood trail can seem like the deer was losing gallons. I really hope you find it and wish you luck. Let us know! The bad part is the white hair and the belly might be slit open. It takes a while for the deer to die. They almost never survive this kind of hit but can go a long way if pushed.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, BRF. Didn't find it. Found only a couple specks of blood beyond where we left off last night. Then, it just disappeared. Maybe it clotted up. Found the arrow and it had a tallow-like substance on it. Also, some green, so i thought maybe it was stomach shot. But, after another two plus hours, and not a sign, we had to give it up.

Stepped off the distance of the shot at 25 yards. He was using his 20 yard pin so he could have shot low.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched one of the hunting programs where the rock star, Ted Nugent, took 20 hours to find a gut shot buck. It happens to all of us sooner or later. Once the blood quits and the deer's tracks mingle with other deer, there is just nothing you can do.
I shot a deer through the lungs with a rifle bullet (heaven forbid) that failed to open and found lung tissue on trees that it ran past. It bled like mad for a short way, quit bleeding and the tracks went in with a herd of deer tracks. It never laid down or quit moving. I never found it after 2 days of searching every inch of ground. One reason I went to big bore revolvers and boolits with a large meplat. I never lose a deer with them.
I can only hope your deer survives.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Plinker-
If it's legal in your state?
We use a tracking dog when we can't find one we're tracking.
Even a house dog can track if it knows what it's trying to find. Borrow a neighbor's dog if you don't have one. Take the dog to the original point of the hit and walk the dog along the known blood trail to the last point you lost it and then let the dog lead the way. You'll find the deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cap Jack is correct. There is a group, I think in NY it was called Deer Find. They would bring in a dog to track your deer for you.

Unless you are absolutely sure of a hit and see the animal go down, you should wait at least an hour before tracking. Take toilet paper and mark the last blood trail and keep marking as you go. Peroxide in a spray bottle sprayed on
the leaves will often cause the speckles of blood to foam up.

A gut shot deer you should probably wait until the next day to track. They often bleed when standing or pushed but when they lay down, will clot the wound and stop the bleading. Left alone, they often die overnight.

Knowing when to trail and not to is something you have to learn. Best call.... if your unsure of the shot...WAIT!

The hair is one determining factor. But it all depends on
the angle of the hit. You can easily get two diferent types of hair. The type of blood is another determining factor. Foamy red blood equals lungs. If you have not taken a bow hunting course you might want to take one. There is often a lot of information that can be gleamed from others.

Keep searching and best of luck. If I loose a trail, I often take the first trail that runs down hill. If I am doubtful, then I will take every trail that I can find until I get a signal that I am on the correct trail. Look in brush piles, depressions and hiding areas adjacent to the trails too. Wounded, they sometimes will hide.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Penny, I don't remember if I mentioned this to you before but, When you get a hit on a deer and it runs, often the hole in the hide slips and covers the hole in its innards. Fatty deposits will then fill the hole in the innards and prevent external blood loss. At least that is what I was told on another site and them good old boys are usually pretty straight. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't think of using a dog. Could have taken my MIL's golden lab up there and seen if it could find anything (besides it's food dish and its butthole.)

Seriously, that might have worked. I'd like to see it do something worthwhile like that.

Plinker

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
keep the dog on a leash so it won't run off and so a game warden can't claim your running deer with a dog.
make sure it has a collar with the owner's name and phone#

one of us
posted Hide Post
The tallow-like substance on the arrow might have been those shifting fat deposits. When it quit bleeding, it just seemed to do it instantly. That was not very long after the big blood spot where it had laid down. Their instincts might be to lay down to give the wound time to close up.

I like Dave's idea about spraying the peroxide too.

Plinker

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Plinker-
If it's legal in your state?
We use a tracking dog when we can't find one we're tracking.
Even a house dog can track if it knows what it's trying to find. Borrow a neighbor's dog if you don't have one. Take the dog to the original point of the hit and walk the dog along the known blood trail to the last point you lost it and then let the dog lead the way. You'll find the deer.

AMEN!! This is the exact reason why I own 2 labs. They are trained specifically to locate deer and they know how to distinguish the trail of the deer that is losing blood. Don't ask me how, but Sadie and Heidi got it going on. 2 very smart yellow labs.