Find
Notify
Tools

FOB vanes???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys

Just would like to know what you guys think of the FOB vanes if that is what you would call them, Id use em to hunt with but I feel that one would be going to high tech and going away from the reason most people bow hunt?

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I couldn;t use them in my WBs and even if I could I wouldn't. Seems like something else to break or lose in the field.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on this forum. You will find quite a bit of information. Unless you hunt with a stick bow, wooden shafts and feathers I honestly don't see the FOB as any more high tech than other inovations. I plan on trying them. You will need a fall away rest. Just my 2 cents.
Peter.
PS. Also, try you tube. Several videos on there.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
I've been using FOB's for going on five years now and find that they do just exactly what the manufacturer says they will do. Check the Archery Talk website for lots of information. I doubt I'll ever go back to conventional fletching.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I have made the switch to FOBs after this falls moose hunt. I had a half dozen arrows lose their fletchings while hunting and that was enough for me. I had a good friend shoot a 58" bull moose that uses the FOBs and he got the killing shot on video, it was pretty damn cool to watch that FOB flop to the ground when the arrow hit him.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I've shot them.

You absolutely do need a fall away rest. It's not just a recommendation. It's a requirement for these things.

The only problem I had with them is my bow is just under 36 inches Axle to Axle with a 31 inch draw. On my setup a normal string loop spacing actually allows the string to pinch the FOB at full draw. That causes all kinds of crazy arrow flight! I spread the string loop out some to get rid of the pinch and everything was better. It did change my anchor point some. When I tried them I decided it was too close to hunting season to make such a drastic change.

In my opinion they do seem to have a couple of pluses. They don't seem to have as much drag as blazers (pretty remarkable when blazers have very little drag to begin with). In a cross wind they are almost unaffected.

You may loose a little FOC with these so check that if your setup is finicky about that (many folks setups are and they just don't realize it).

Good product, just wish they had a model that put the "ring" about 1/2" forward from the nock end.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Switched over about 6 months ago. Absolutely love 'em. No more refletching - ever. JMHO

gd

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing about them (or those that use them).

I never see anyone posting pics of how nice their arrows look. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote