New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Really Dumb Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Forgive me guys. I admit that I haven't done enough bowhunting to qualify as a hair on a bow hunter's butt...and to make matters worse, this question is out of left field. But here goes?

Does anyone still make FLINT arrowheads?
Is there a good book on how to do it?

No, I don't want to actually USE such arrowheads. In fact, I haven't shot a bow in ten years. But I once watched a fellow take a piece of raw flint and whip it into a point faster than I would have dreamed possible and he wasn't even an Indian!

I live around tons of perfect flint and was just curious about trying to make some for the fun of it.

I now return you to REAL Bow Hunting topics.
[Embarrassed] Pecos45

[ 01-30-2003, 05:17: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, There is a company called Three Rivers Archery-www.3riversarchery.com that sells numerous books about making flint arrowheads. Kits, too. Be careful, though, these heads are not legal to hunt with in many states, so check your game laws.

[ 01-30-2003, 05:49: Message edited by: TJC ]

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot, TJ. I really wasn't wanting to hunt with them...just curious about making some points the old way. You've been a big help. [Smile]

<Russ D>
posted
Hi Pecos,

Try this link http://www.msu.edu/~doneycar/flint.html and this one http://www.eskimo.com/~knapper/ It's a fascinating hobby or is it an addiction. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Great links Russ. Exactly what I was looking for. You guys are great. [Smile]

<recurve shooter>
posted
pecos45 ,if you go to www.stickbow.com and ask that question you will have a lot of info .a lot of people do flint Knapping or do a search on flint knapping .have some obsidian here waiting for me to get creative !! by the way good points are deadly on animals !! have read a few articals about people who hunt with them .----- herb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herb - My brother-in-law has spent practically his whole life going around Mexico and the southern US and has probably picked up half of the arrowheads the Indians ever created and lost.

Some are simply works of art, especially the obsidian pieces. He tells me that some of the best and most beautiful points were made by the ancient Indians and many of the more modern Indians built a lot of crap...which one would expect the opposite to be the case.

Anyway, I think it would be fun to learn how to make them. Who knows, maybe when everyone runs out of gunpowder they will come to me and buy my arrowheads for exhorbitant prices and I can be the Bill Gates of arrowheads.

[ 02-11-2003, 09:04: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
It's not a silly question at all. Our ancestors used stoneheads for thousands of years before metalurgy. obsidian can have a edge sharper than any razor.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boss - What I meant by "stupid question" is the notion of a silly old fart like me thinking about making such things. [Big Grin]

By the way, the more I look into it...the neater it seems. I may twist off and try to become a "knapper" instead of just a "napper."
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos You have a PM

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote