New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crossbow info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the market for a crossbow. Been a bow hunter for a long time. I am going to hunt in Virginia this Christmas at my brothers place. Need some help on getting a good crossbow. Thanks in advance.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a few. I like Ten Point the best. I just got a new one from them today.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to go to some archery shops that sell crossbows and shoot them all. THEN decide on which one YOU like best. After all, it's going to be your money buying it...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
My suggestion would be to go to some archery shops that sell crossbows and shoot them all. THEN decide on which one YOU like best. After all, it's going to be your money buying it...

I agree with Shof and Larryshores. Go and shoot a number of crossbows and get a feel for one you like. There are lots to choose from. Ten Point make a good crossbow but, in my opinion pricey. I personally shoot a Excalibur and so does my wife. We have no complaints. I would recommended Excalibur but, ultimately you have the final decision.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Definately go shoot the various models and make up your own mind. I also shoot an Excalibur and if I was buying one today I'd get another Excalibur. They are very accurate and being a recurve you don't need a bow press to do any maintenance. I like to keep things simple. I've only shot deer with mine, but it works great on them.

When I first got my xbow, several of my friends were giving me a hard time about the xbow. Comments like: It's just like shooting a rifle, it gives you an unfair advantage, etc. Well a few years later and now they're all shooting Excaliburs as well.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2302 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I never had an interest in crossbows until is hot one in Harrisburg. I think it was the ten point 410.

That is a seriously powerful bow, and incredibly accurate with the red dot scope on it.

We are hoping for a deer and bear hunt with crossbows in November in Pensylvania.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote