Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Tolman Skiff
 Login/Join

by Paul H (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Picture of Paul H
This started out as a winter project, last winter. Well, I'm a year into it, and not sure if I'll launch this year or next. Needless to say, I haven't been doing much shooting or hunting either.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is going to be a great boat! How long is it?
That K-Bay picture was taken pretty close to one of my favorite
winter King areas!!
Have fun!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
That is going to be a great boat! How long is it?
That K-Bay picture was taken pretty close to one of my favorite
winter King areas!!
Have fun!

It'll be 22 1/2 feet long. The basic layout will be that of a C-dory 22, but with my narrow splashwell and longer length, it'll have about 50% more fishing area, and the cuddy cabin is also quite a bit larger, and with sitting headroom, though just barely.

I took the picture of K-bay when we were taking the trusty tusty over to Kodiak this summer. Unfortunately I didn't get any fishing done in Kodiak, but we had a great trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup it has that C-DORY look, I have a 22'C-DORY
cruiser W100h Yam 4 stroke Big Grin you will like that
hull design. Not the fastest but safe and stable!

Good luck!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Paul, the first Photo Gallery on the new site. (and you thought it would be hard).

Don

Posts: 26549 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
Yup it has that C-DORY look, I have a 22'C-DORY
cruiser W100h Yam 4 stroke Big Grin you will like that
hull design. Not the fastest but safe and stable!

Good luck!!

I'm still debating power options, but have narrowed it down to the Yamaha 115, and the Suzuki 140, with the Suzuki the likely choice. With the semi-v bottom, it should ride a bit smoother then the C-dory in chop, but speed will be mostly dictated by water conditions. I could get by fine with a 100 horse, but if heavily loaded for long trips, it just isn't enough power. I like the sage advice that there is no such thing as too much fuel or too much power. I'd rather have a bigger mill that isn't worked too hard, vs a smaller mill that is being strained.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When is it going to be done Paul?

What is the deadrise?

The never too much power approach is fine, unless you have a teenage son who will be operating it without you on board - having myself once been a teenager with a boat.

I don't think that strain is much of an issue on outboard motors. With a little V you will likely not quite get the gas mileage like a C-Dory. I understand Yamaha is going to electronic fuel injection on some of their bigger 4 strokes this year - that should be interesting. Think I might try to find a 2004 Yamaha 115 - just not sure about the durability of a Suziki. A new motor is a long term investment - I have 1700 hours on mine in 11 years and it seems I use my boat a lot. Probably have another 6-7 years left on them. Guess my point is get what you want for the long haul.

tsturm,
Think I have seen your posts on C-Brats or C-Dogs. Nainu is my user name although I rarely go there. I also own a C-Dory 22.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
When is it going to be done Paul?

Rob,

I sure wish I knew! I'd like to have it done this summer, but between family commitments, and work getting in the way, that is a less then 50/50 bet at this point. I can't even say I'm 1/2 done yet. I know paint prep, painting, wiring, plumbing and misc fittings will take gobs of time, and I'll still be cutting and gluing wood, and coating things with fiberglass for months to come.

I think the deadrise is 8 degrees at the transom, 12 degrees amidships, and gets around 45 deg at the bow.

I think a yammy 115 would be fine, and I still might go that route, but there are several guys running suzuki 140's with nothing but good to say, and they're about $500-1000 less then the yammy 115. There have also been reports of the yammy 115 getting water in the crankcase oil.

Having been a former teenage boy, and my wife would argue not yet being fully matured, I know exactly what you are referring to. Ie, the engine wouldn't be capable of running 6500 rpm if the manufacturer didn't want you to run it that fast.

The main reason I want to lean on the side of a bigger vs smaller mill, is so if we load up with camping gear and fuel, we have enough power to still run at cruising speed with no strain on the engine. There simply isn't much price difference between the 90's, 115's and even the suzuki 140 not to consider a bigger engine.

You'll have to swing by one of these days and check it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tsturm,
Think I have seen your posts on C-Brats or C-Dogs. Nainu is my user name although I rarely go there. I also own a C-Dory 22.[/QUOTE]

Could be, I haven't been to either of thoes sites in a while either.

Paul, think about running a 2" abs "conduit on both sides tucked up out of site for cables, wiring etc. shure makes future upgrades easy.

Have fun!! jump

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'll be able to run the cables under the shelves on either side of the boat, and I also added some small shelves between the sides of the hull, and the sides of a splashwell to hide cables.

I went with a narrow splashwell so we can fish all the way to the transom. Boats in this size don't afford much of a fishing deck, so making the narrow splashwell provided alot more fishing area.

The additional photos should do a better job of showing the layout.