THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    375 plains game, or varmit loads, and drop tables

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 plains game, or varmit loads, and drop tables Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
John S keeps trying to tell me that the 300 mag is a better long range gun then a 375.

I noticed in another thread, using 200 grain bullets, at high velocities, for varmits, deer, etc.

Since I'm joining the CZ 550 375 crew, I was wondering if you zero at 300 yards, if anyone has drop tables at 400 and 500 yards?

Can't find em.

Also, our range is 200 yards, and down. How high do I have to be to have a 300 yard zero?

What's the hottest, flatest, 375 varmit load anyone has used, and, do you have drop stats on it?

Anyone have RCBS' address handy?

Thanks

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates,

I would download some ballistics software, for example PointBlank from http://www.huntingnut.com/ and start to fiddle with the numbers. (I found this bit so fascinating that I'm building my own software right now).

You will soon find out that lighter bullets aren't the answer to long range big bore loads but high BC!

The very light for calibre loads are IMHO meant for small game at shorter range and plinking, of course

[This message has been edited by Wachtel (edited 03-03-2002).]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link W.

I found similar software at Beartooth bullets.

I've just posted the numbers on the HV
bullets, 240, and 265, and you are correct.

The 265 has a very high BC, retains a tremendous amount of energy, and, it's very flat, out to 600 yards, if zeroed at 400.

I posted all this stuff under the 30-06 is king thread. Maybe I should rename it,
"The 375 is King";-)

gs

------------------
I love 45

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates I think you will find that a 200 yard zero is quite adequate. You will have almost all your hunting opportunities at 300 or less. For the GS HV bullets, the drop is less than 8 inches at 300 and about 21 inches at 4oo. That ought to take care of almost any shooting you might have to pull off. If you start trying to zero at 400 you will find that you will shoot too high on over 90 % of your common hunting shots. Think. How many shots at game do you find in your neck of the woods under 200 yards? My answer? Almost all of them. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Areas I would be carrying that rifle are nothing but woods, redwoods, etc.

Point well taken. Still, zeroed at 400 is only 6-8 inches high from 100 to 300.
Is that really that hard to compensate for?

Haven't tried it, so I don't know...

gs

------------------
I love 45

one of us
posted Hide Post
I zero my .375 at 200m for general game hunting and, when the season concludes, reset at 300m for coyotes, jacks, etc.

If you really want to explore the longer ranges with a .375, use a scope with target style turrets or a Stoney Point T-knob for your elevation adjustment. Using a chrono and one of the ballistic programs, you can easily create a drop chart to take in the field with you. Run a wind drift chart as well. You may be surprised at what the old cartridge can do for varmints at extended ranges.

I like the Sierra 300s for varmints as they shoot well from my rifle, good BC, and they seem to deal well with the prevailing Wyoming "breeze". My best groups come in around the 2500fps mark. For general game hunting I prefer the Nosler 300.

From the description of your hunting terrain, I think you would be best served with a 200m zero for most of your use but, if the varmint opportunity arrives, crank the scope and give it a whirl. You might get hooked on it!

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates,
I agree with D Hunter that a 200 yard zero (or around that) makes more sense. It coincides with my own experience and what I have read in my books on Africa. Most PHs don't understand Americans fascination (obsession?) with the 10% (300+ yard shots) as opposed to the 90% of shots taken at game. I would rather hold dead on out to say 250 then worry about holding under the vast majority of the time.

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Socrates-
I just went to the GS website and see they have a really neat 173gr 308cal bullet in their HV line. Amazing BC of .650 this little beauty has, bet starting it at 3400fps will make a nice coyote load at 600yds, don't you think?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Hey John,

Us .375 guys are just buzzin. If you need GS bullets with a .300 maggy on coyotes then get them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

Let's see. First off, have to take a trip up to RCBS, buy dies, and a rockchucker, clamp it down outside, and, start reloading.

That's right after the ten day waiting period is done for the rifle, and the other shop finishes my 30-06 bedding, and, replacing the trigger. Timmony is coming out, and the stock one, or something close, with a safety, is going back in.

Going to buy a nice spotting scope one of these days, perhaps next.

And, the 375 might be putting on some lead weight, and a new recoil pad, but that's after I play with it a bit.

Going to stay with open sites, mainly cause the rifle range is short, at least the local one.

Easy to figure a 200 yard zero, with the software, and information I've been given.

Probably start with the GameKing, and, when the finances are right, order a bunch of 265's from Gerard.

Got to fire a glock 40 today, along with a Ruger 22.

Much as I liked the 40 in a para-ordanance, today, in the Glock, I couldn't hit the center I was aiming at. Damned Glock triggers suck.

My Kimbers trigger is breaking in, and getting very light, and smooth.

Very accurate.

Let a guy fire the Linebaugh 45 colt, heh, heh, heh. I let him off easy, with 260 grain hollow points at 1450. Didn't want any part of the 325's at 1550.

It's really funny listening to the thunder when someone else is firing the gun. This guy was good, too. 4 shoots, about an inch apart, and a flyer. Short range...

gs

------------------
I love 45

one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, don't worry about John, he's just a big bore wannabe. If he could handle the recoil, he'd get a REAL gun.;-)

Sides, he's posting in the wrong forum about his little 300...

gs

------------------
I love 45

posted Hide Post
Don-
No, I'm just having a bit of fun with our new resident 375 expert. Have no need of any GS bullets as mentioned.

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 03-04-2002).]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The little caliber forum is further down the lead page...

gs