Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 X 70 Magnum [D.W.M]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted

So what do you all know about this caliber? I find it very interesting. How would you make ammunition for it today?

The cartrige was designed in the late 1920s by necking down the 404.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easy way is an existing chamber for measurements. That appears to be shortened with the same shoulder angle as a 404. I wonder if it was created around the same time as the 35 Newton? It kind of looks dimensionly similar (bigger of course) to a 280 Rem.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S. Beautiful Rifle!!!!!!!!! cheers

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those that may not have seen the African Hunter magazine article about this cartridge, here's the link:

http://www.african-hunter.com/the_9,3_x_70_magnum.htm

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I tried to buy this rifle from Harold Wolf, but he doesn't want to go through the drama of exporting it to an American.

He wanted E4500 for it as I recall.

It's built on a FN Mauser with a 26 inch barrel.

He used it in Namibia, Tanzania, and someplace else.

He was going to refinish, and reblue it before shipment.

I was thinking about building the same rifle on a Yugo 375 length mauser, and use custom bottom metal to get the capacity up to 4.

You could build it on a 22 inch stopper barrel, but I would make mine heavy contour and 25 or 26 inches long.

He used a 8x68 Mauser he made himself on a later safari and complained at the lack of killing power compared to the big 9.3x70. (well duh?)

I think he streches himself pretty thin building rifles, writing the magazine. He's kind of a pissy little bitch on the phone.

I thought about going up there and seeing him when I was Holland on Navy business, but didn't feel it was worth it.

Oh, he lives in Belgium not Holland, but you got where I was going with that. Kind of like Rhode Island and New Hampshire. Small stuff!

So RCBS form dies 404 brass and your in business. Bertram would do a run if you bought 500 pieces for $500.

Some more history on this.

Herrmmann Gorring had a 9.3x70 he was one of Hitlers big shot and quite a hunter of the time. I beleive he is one of the ones that asked Mauser to make a rifle with more power in 9.3, not totaly 100%on that though.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will send you some info next week.
Ammo and brass are available from Reimar Johannsen. About $75 USD for 20 cases. I will pick some up when I get over through Europe in 2007.
Building one is in my hopper for late 2007 or early 2008. We can share reamers and gauges if you can wait until then. Pick up a used Win-70 in 300RUM unless you want to do the mauser thing. If so, save your nickles.
I will do the ammo work up. 286 grain North Forks. No need to worry about hold-over, or drift for that matter.
An easier and cheaper rout is to get a CZ in 416 Rigby and re-barrel it for the Lapua Magnum slightly necked up to 9,3. Stamp 9,3/338 Lapua magnum on the barrel and get to it.
Easier yet is to neck the .340 Weatherby up to 9,3. Keep the double radius neck, just send a few dummy cartridges to Dave Kiff for a reamer.
Easy, peasy, puddin 'n pie.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Reamers and dies are made by Triebel, and ammo is manufactured under the name Expert. No idea how complex the brass forming process would be.

D99, I thought Wolf rifle was built on a Argentine action.

lawndart- why not use a necked down 50BMG or 20mm case animal animal

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am very interested in this caliber, but not sold yet. I am wondering if one of the custom actions would work for this like a Global Arms Magnum, or a Montana 1999 Professional?

Otherwise I would have to look at my P-17 actions I have in the drawer.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I do see that Hermann Görings rifle had a 27.5" barrel.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
http://www.triebel.de doesn't show them listed.

I am betting if you called Fred Huntington, and asked him for help he could get you a set of $400 custom RCBS dies within 6 months based on cartridge drawings.

I used to have cartridge drawings laying around for the damn thing but deleted them.

Your right, I had forgot about the thumbcut. This rifle was built about 3-5 years ago, and I was thinking it was an FN. Your probably right, I remember talking to him about it but it's been close to 3 years.

Harold went to gunsmithing school in Ferlach or Suhl, anyway he knows what he is doing.

I can't imagine it's a whole lot different than necking 404 to fit the 9.3 bullet.

Ask Harold.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to have cartridge drawings laying around for the damn thing but deleted them.

You have been a very bad boy.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
lawndart- why not use a necked down 50BMG or 20mm case

RIP beat me to that.

<JOHAN>
posted
D99
Almost same, but different Big Grin http://www.triebel-guntools.de/pdf/triebel_en.pdf Listed as 9,3X70 Magnum.

Harald is on the list of Ferlach gunsmiths.

Try to recover that cartridge drawing cheers

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I love it when Johan comes to my rescue, hatred of my beloved Blasers or not!

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds interesting. Gorgeous rifle.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could you use 375 RUM cases necked down.
Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about that and calling it the 9.3x70 RUM. Considering a 100 375 Ultras will be $35-50 and 100 404s will be $120.

Honestly I would probably just order the brass from Dave Bertram with the correct head stamp at $1 each.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I would go traditional Brenneke rifle or Mauser with this caliber. Maybe to an English style, but stay away from modern IMHO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the drawings are on file with CIP or any of the European Proof Houses, Dave Kiff can get you set up with all the reamers and gauges that you need. It will be much cheaper to get a die reamer and have a set made from a Newlon blank die body. Add a micrometer head if you are so inclined. No importation or shipping issues.

LD

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
As this is my rifle, I will build it how I want.

Germanic, Thumbhole, Classic, or A-Square recoil check stock, it doesn't matter but it's up to me.

I have spent too much time absorbing a factory 378 Weatherby recoil to for stock design not to be a major factor.

The 9.3x70 isn't a 378, but it's not going to be far behind in recoil.

A Modern stainless M70, a 27 inch fluted #5 Lilja, and a McMillan Lawson thumbhole will work fine. I will add a drop magazine to increase capacity.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
D99

Take it easy! I have been very appreciative of your help on some of these threads, but "WOW" don't worry so much is someone comments towards one of your posts. Seriously, I only state I would go classic as MY OPINION not telling you it was what you were going to do.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
You see that is the problem with this forum. As it's hard to tell understand the context of some messages.

I appologize for the GRRRRRR!

I don't know how well you take recoil, but this thing is going to kick hard, and really fast. A big heavy rifle will slow that down.

This wont' be a 378 Weatherby (thank god), but it will be really stout.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Maybe too many years of this job has made my brain hard.

sofa

one of us
posted Hide Post
Should kick about like a 375 Weatherby.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, that is what I was thinking. A little heavier than an H&H.
I have a standard M70 stock, shooting 280g .358's at ~2900 fps and it is certainly nowhere near a 378. I would imagine that case would do a little less than that, less powder and speed that is.
I like the 27" bbl, fo sho. Mine is 26" and I wouldn't mind another " for kicks.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some one posted years ago on BR.com the adress of a Finnish Government web site with all the C.I.P. specs and drawings .Of course the computer crashed so I have not had any luck finding this again .If any one knows this I would appreciate a note. Thanks
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a hot 9.3 look on page 201 of the tenth edition of Cartridges of the World. Check out the .366 DGW. Brass and loaded ammo is available from Quality cartridge and Midway but Midway is higher priced and dies are available either from me or Hornady. Basically you get 3253 fpsand 5875 foot pounds at the muzzel with a 250 grain slug and if sighted in 2.35" high you drop 25.4" at 500 yards and still have 2971 foot pounds of energy.

It is not what you hunt with, it is how you hunt that matters!

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will send you some info next week.
Ammo and brass are available from Reimar Johannsen. About $75 USD for 20 cases. I will pick some up when I get over through Europe in 2007.
Building one is in my hopper for late 2007 or early 2008. We can share reamers and gauges if you can wait until then. Pick up a used Win-70 in 300RUM unless you want to do the mauser thing. If so, save your nickles.
I will do the ammo work up. 286 grain North Forks. No need to worry about hold-over, or drift for that matter.
An easier and cheaper rout is to get a CZ in 416 Rigby and re-barrel it for the Lapua Magnum slightly necked up to 9,3. Stamp 9,3/338 Lapua magnum on the barrel and get to it.
Easier yet is to neck the .340 Weatherby up to 9,3. Keep the double radius neck, just send a few dummy cartridges to Dave Kiff for a reamer.
Easy, peasy, puddin 'n pie.

lawndart

Oh nothing mom. Just pounding primers with a hammer.

Just wondering what was found out. I am making plans for another rifle as we speak.

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the article that actually works.

9,3x70 Magnum

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1099 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
God Bless you Alan!

LD

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post
Smiler
I just caught wind of this thread last night while surfing. I have built the rifle you are trying to put togther and have called it a 9.3 Ashley. I necked down a 375 RUM and built it on my Rem 700 SPS action. I have a 26" SS PAC-NOR barrel. I got the dies from Hornady in about 6 weeks for $120. I would be happy to share my data thus far with you. Heres what I got to date.

90grns IMR 4350 Nosler 250grn BT 3000fps
94grns IMR 4350 Nosler 250grn BT +3150fps

both loads shoot .5 MOA at 50 yards. This rifle really shoots. My package with scope weighs less than 8.5lbs and kicks about what my buddys 300 RUM and much les than my Rem416.

Go For it you'll love it.

Brad

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
It has been a few years since I posted this, but I am again gettting ideas for a rifle in this caliber.

Does anyone have the ballistics of the caliber with a 286 grain slug? I thought it was listed here, but I could not find it. Wasn't it 2900 fps?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
:
Originally posted by husky:

From left to right:
9,3x57, 9,3x62, 9,3x63, 9,3x64 Brenneke, 9,3x65R Brenneke -the rimmed version of the 9,3x64, 9,3x66, The Powerhouse 9,3x70 and the 9,3x74R.

My favorite is the 9,3x63 (based on a necked down 10,75x68 case. Perhaps 10 year older than the .373H&H but deliver the same performance as the .375H&H or the 9,3x64.
Husky

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome cartridge.

If anyone has more information please post it.

Here is a translated version from the Hartari article. Not the best, but you will get the drift. Sorry about the poor translation.

quote:
9.3 x 70 Magnum DWM
9.3 x70 KJG charges

Gunsmith champion Otto Bock, the imperial period of the most established supplier for expeditions to tropical hunting grounds, developed with the 9.3 x 62 in 1905 one of the most internationally successful big game cartridges. The Bock-cartridge was from their sleeve dimensions of the then state of Treibladungsmittel adjusted. With the advent progressiverer powder in the 20 he and 30 years ago he joined the 9.3 x 62 to hülsenbedingte increasingly ballistic borders and could, with the new high-volume .375 Holland & Holland Magnum no longer compete.

The obvious need for a more powerful and more rapid universal big game cartridge in 9.3 mm caliber brought Wilhelm Brenneke end of the 20 years he to the development of the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke. With a significantly enlarged leguminous volume was now the English .375 H & H Magnum ballistic rival offer.

By optimum adjustment to the 98 Mauser system would be 9.3 x 64 Brenneke actually been an ideal solution, although the ballistic information then as still a little too optimistic. 820 m / s with a heavy 18.5 g floor, with all due respect, a fantasy value of hunting weapons is not present. Nevertheless was, and is 9.3 x 64 Brenneke the .375 H & H equivalent. The ammunition was Brennekes order by the DWM (Deutsche weapons and munitions factories) in Karlsruhe manufactured. Unfortunately, the cartridge was not of major weapons manufacturers such as Mauser works.

While the RWS on the 9.3 x 62 by Otto Bock for a Magnumlaborierung with the then new and light H-coat-Spitz story ran, created the competition DWM companies own a big game cartridge in the popular 9.3 mm caliber.

From the large .404 Jeffery (10.75 x 73 mm) Basic sleeve, several high-performance cartridges for the caliber 7.62 mm (.300), 8 mm and 9.3 mm. For serial maturity and commercial launch was only the latter. Under the serial number 569 in DWM-leguminous register is as 9.3 x 70 Magnum. To date this register is regrettably no longer accurate, but the introduction may be around the year 1930 will be. The DWM - ammunition manuals and catalogues of the 30 years he lead up to 5 different Laborierungen TM with 15 g, 17 g heavy coat, 18.5 g TM and VM, and 19.5 g Brenneke TIG.

In the hunt but the literature has been highly remarkable cartridge barely mentioned, so they probably for the season on the market was not through. A weapon was developed by elk hunters in East Prussia champion Kramer elk hunt forest tries. The cartridge according to his records was very powerful, had but especially at low temperatures occasionally After Burner. Obviously, the primers used were not strong enough to the quite considerable quantity of powder durchzuzünden safely. Old Original - DWM - cartridges in 9.3 x 70 Magnum today are extremely rare and are profiled collectors with up to 800, DM-apiece (?) Traded.

Even then for these conditions so outstanding cartridge failed the major arms producer in Suhl Oberndorf and the entourage. Only a handful of custom-made rifles in 9.3 x 70 caliber Magnum Hunter will be in his hands. The only known me rifle was designed by Ludwig Schiwy in Berlin for the imperial Jägermeister Hermann Göring built.

My penchant for old German high-performance cartridge is generally known. Since I Günter Frères, his last head of development for civilian ammunition at the DWM, copies of the original factory drawings of 9.3 x 70 Magnum leave, I wanted to interest a Gasdruckmeßlauf growth and some ballistic experiments.

A cartridge with the man but occasionally a little further delaying tactics, and particularly flat, as with the good old .375 H & H, without the context of the full sense to exceed, it would not be wrong sometimes. There is this for the cartridges to take, often exotic sounding Wildcats from America on the basis ausgeblasener .375 H & H reason sleeves, or on the basis of the sleeve diameter greater .404 Jeffery basic sleeve. Such as the relatively young .375 Dakota or 9.5 x 66 SEvH / Gehmann.

The DWM - engineers already laid over 60 years, the yardstick for cartridges this performance class. Whether the performance of Toplaborierung with its 19.5 g TIG even at very high gas pressure 3,900 bar and 72 cm length was real, but I dare to doubt. My Gasdruckmeßlauf measures only 65 cm in length. A gas pressure of 3,700 bar (Cu-cylinder), I wanted to not exceed, but were the first such tests positive, that I immediately decided that an experimental weapon at the next session and to Africa with the opportunity to take.

With 89 mm total length is The 9.3 x 70 mm 3 Magnum still shorter than the .375 H & H, but summarizes the basic sleeve thicker good 10% more powder. The cartridge fits into a standard 98 he system. Only must M. E., as well as for the mother sleeve .404 Jeffery necessarily a suitable magazine to measure the full milled to be a reliable feeder too. I submit 4 shot in the magazine. My .375 H & H - all the cans had been 61 cm runs. It seemed for the progressive but significant quantity of powder size 9.3 x 70 bit too short. I took me a thick-walled Mauser run in standard 9.3 mm by 65 cm in length, outside the outer contour after my performances sense of form and weight distribution and rubbed ultimately the cartridge bearings accordingly.

If you mainly of closed from pulpits hunts, or by Equatorial Regenwalddickichte creeps, is a weapon kurzläufige Although führiger undisputed, but it is such a rapid Caliber also not provided. A langläufiges gun, know the least, swinging much better as a short. Incidentally, at this point I would like to mention in passing that I called "Bullpub-Kurzrepetierer" (Customers sometimes ask me after these weapons Mißgeburten) for the hunt largely irrational, useless think yes, they also offend a weapons expert with a sense of style and line management , the eye.

But back to the experimental weapon: In open terrain where Rasanz asked is, I have absolutely no problem with the Führigkeit the long rifle, just in the transportation inevitably unwieldy long arms suitcase liked me absolutely not. In an increasingly hunting and waffenfeindlichen environment is inconspicuous to stay can also be beneficial. It should probably first, after more than 60 years built 9.3 x 70 Magnum Repetierbüchse conceived as a decomposable.

Repetierbüchsen, where the running of system be separated, go with me always sceptical as to whether a permanent good shot performance can be guaranteed. I am by the British as a "detachable floor," So snemljivih of the type described, in which the system run as a unit sight and out of the gehakt is clearly sympathetic.

On other weapons research I came across a really intelligent design, in which the magazine cover also serves as Schraubhebel with the front cross powerfully screw can be tightened and the rear storage system with a strong hook, is conducted. The matter is in fact simply awesome and yet highly stable, so that deviations shot situation, even with cartridges as strong as the 9.3 x 70 Magnum not to be feared. So in seconds without tools cut, fit, the two main components, systems with barrel and, diagonally in my hard-shell suitcase.

To also on extremely long distances to be able to pinpoint agreement was the weapon with a real return Stecher. Next was with the Swarovski 3 - 12 x 50 is a very powerful telescopic sight.

From theorists, and their are there so few who even beflissentlich weaponry things about writing is repeatedly brought that in most African countries, the .375 H & H, so Metric 9.5 mm as a minimum caliber for the big game hunting dangerous mandatory and thus the German 9.3 mm cartridges inadmissible. I myself am thick skinned enough to me for such trinkets no further shearing, as long as the performance potential of the cartridge is appropriate, what with the 9.3 x 70 Magnum certainly is the case. I have also never seen anyone državno the 9.3 x 64 to the buffalo hunting would have objected. So much for praxisfernen gibberish that the German 9.3 mm on "dangerous game" was illegal! We should not forget that 9.3 mm or .375 caliber as a minimum for the buffalo hunting them!

Swift links from Gnu, right Wood Leigh Eland from both> 96% residual mass
The German 9.3 mm caliber, as far as the availability of good floors, compared to the .375 certainly lag behind. The most obvious, it would have kept if I Laborierung with 19 g Brenneke TUG try. I personally have with the great TUG both from the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke, and the .375 H & H no good experience. That may perhaps not representative, because not a few hunters swear to these floors, but I would prefer to use other floors.

For normal distances and bush hunting wild schwerstes I chose for the same diameter, English .360 caliber N ° 2 NE Wood Leigh the full robe and Teilmantelgeschoße with 320 grs = 20.75 grams, and are real Weitschußprojektil the SWIFT in 250 grs = 16 , 2 g. To check for European relations but excessive strong 9.3 x 70 Magnum to be afflicted with something universal, I developed a reduced charge for the Wood Leigh 18.5 g TM, so that the weapon also useful to indigenous Red and Black Game lead.
Especially in the extremely schußharten Gnus, some of which I care for meat could impose on the open ground barely more than 220 - 230 m for each was the best fast 250 grs SWIFT excellent, although in severe bone hits sometimes there was no committee. An aerodynamic 17 g floor with composite core would be somewhat higher because of the cross-cutting burden certainly desirable. The Flugbahnrasanz plays perfectly to the small size of a cartridge out.

The heavy 320 grs Rundkopfgeschoße by Wood Leigh were opposed to distances up to 150 m unbeatable. Especially in a country like Zambia, where buffalo, lion, hippo and several large antelopes in sometimes rather dense bush on relatively small distances, but other steppe wildlife species such as Lechwe, Sitatunga, Gnu, etc. on Hartebeest consistently fired at great distances, the best 9.3 x 70 Magnum Force as a universal ideal. It is a secondary weapon in .300 Magnum, etc. Certainly save them. With today's load components (the pods can be very easily from .404-forming pods of RWS) allowed the 9.3 x 70 Magnum to the big game hunters captivating performances.
I have the cartridge until now only in Africa, and occasionally in domestic forest. It should because of the superior Fernballistik certainly also in Asia and North America ideal, elk, bear, Maral and Elk hunting.

Like other constructive excellent cartridges, the 9.3 x 70 Magnum from DWM unfortunately never a chance on the arms market, and is named after the Second World War in total oblivion slipped off, although they were far ahead of their time. The availability of current and Magnum powder igniter makes it a still, or straight up, current cartridge, which it safely with any highly acclaimed modern Wildcatpatrone this performance class can hold.
Despite its offices accumulation, range aviation minister, commander in chief of the Air Force, Prime Minister and Interior Minister of Prussia and long years Hitler's right-hand man generally in the Third Reich Hermann Göring was a passionate hunter and collector of fine hunting weapons. His older brother Charles Göring was also an avid hunter Africa, as shown here Masailand Tanganyikas photo, taken in 1913, shows. Karl Göring was at the side of the East Africa Lettow Vorbeck 1914-18 campaign.

Captain Karl Göring On buffalo hunting in German East Africa
Hermann Göring career steep increase in the 30 years he also gave him the office of imperial master hunter, and thus the position as chief Mr Hunt in Germany. He made the ensuing hunt almost unlimited possibilities waidlich use. It seems even after he took care of his dispossession despite tobendem World War and tausendfachem daily dying as a consolation only for his self-expression, his art collection and just hunting. Hermann Göring had an extensive collection of high-quality hunting weapons, which were made on his behalf. He led mainly tipping over weapons, especially his beloved Double Bock caliber rifle in 8 x 75 R, but also various Hochleistungsrepetierbüchsen based on the Mauser Model 98 system.
One of the most unusual examples of its former weapons collection is a Berliner, gunsmiths Ludwig Schiwy, several weapons for Göring built, manufactured heavy Repetierbüchse. The unusually 9.3 x 70 Magnum, a cartridge, the 1930 by the German weapons and munitions factories from the English .404 ground sleeve has been developed makes it so rare rifle.
Schiwy used for this one original Mauser rifle Magnum system with so-called "Double Bridge Square." Because of the long, 6-fold Zeiss telescope tube was Vordersockel classical Suhler Einhakmontage soldered on the run, while the rear castle on the abgefrästen leguminous bridge was assembled, as is also customary Halger weapons was (that was not the integral, original Mauser Einhakmontage used). The round run is about 70 cm long and has conventionally aufgelötete Visor and grain base. In addition to the Mauser-wing assurance is on the side of a backup Greener appropriate. The standard-size magazine box can be a lever pushers in the trigger guard opened. The finely engraved magazine cover shows the family Göring weapons. Something unusual for such a strong Magnum cartridge is the typical German double.

The 9.3 x 70 of the Magnum Reich master hunter Hermann Göring

The stock is of high quality Maserholz has two special features: The rear has a height-adjustable Springbacke the optimal attack on the riflescope vote. On both sides are forend retractable steel and vzmet progress rates mounted to the weapon when shot at the high seat or tree trunks to firmly anchor. This strange anchor was staged at other German and Austrian cans to be found.

Many of luxury Göring weapons are provided by the allied forces during the war, confiscated and occasionally appear at auction again. This particular copy belonged to the now deceased, internationally known arms collector Lester Womack. After his death, it changed owners several times and was two years ago for about $ 28,000 sold.

The detachable 9.3 x 70 rifle on the basis of a Magnum neugefertigten Mauser system currently costs including brand riflescope about 10,000 DM excl. Ges. VAT. CIP tested HWM ammunition around 8 - DM per shot plus. VAT.
Laborierung floor V 0 E 0 V 100 E 100 trajectory curve
M / m joules / 50100150200 300 joules

Orig. DWM 17 g Stm 882 6,602 791 5,307 + 2.4 + 5.5 + 4.3 0 - 24.9

Orig. DWM 18.5 g Stm 846 6,622 724 4,866 + 3.3 + 7.1 + 5.9 0 - 33.1

Orig. DWM 19.5 g TIG 850 7,034 775 5,857 (unknown)

HWM 16.2 g SWIFT 903 6,636 (wide shot charge)

HWM 20.75 g Wood. 795 6,559

Handldg 18.5 g Wood. 767 5,443 (less cargo)
Source http://www.hataritimes.com
Gunsmith Harald Wolf Kapellenstrasse 4 4750 Nidrum Belgium Tel: 00 32 80447 642 Fax: 00 32 80447 643 Mail@hataritimes.com
Cyr Auction Company, Gray, Maine
Goering Presentation Rifle hits the mark
This definitely was not an auction for the wine and cheese crowd, more like the beer and pretzels crowd. On June 13 in Gray, Maine, Jim Cyr presided over a sea of suspenders and baseball caps, selling material gathered from several Maine estates that was heavy on firearms, rustic furniture, smalls and country.

The lead item by far at $ 8,250 (including buyer's premium) was a Ludwig Schiwy rifle, # 6954, purportedly owned by Reich Marshall Hermann Goering, Adolf Hitler's second in command. It came with a credible but less-than-airtight provenance. Accompanying the rifle was a letter from a law firm, stating that the rifle had been brought to the US by one Carl Gray of Chicago, a glider pilot in the 82 nd Airborne Division in World War II, and that it had been in the possession of the firm since 1992, when it had purchased it from Gray's son.

A presentation plaque on the rifle indicated that it had been given by Goering as a Christmas gift in 1940 1932 until his death in 1941.

From Robert Wistrich's Who's Who in Nazi Germany (1982) we learned that Gurtner, as a sympathizer to Hitler's right-wing extremists, helped speed Hitler's ascent to absolute power. Goering's association with Gurtner dates back to at least the early 1920's and the days preceding Hitler's failed Beer Hall Putsch. The letter also indicates provenance of Gurtner's complicity after the fact in the 1934 assassination of Kurt von Schleicher and his wife. From Schleicher was one of the last chancellors of the Weimar Republic.

Gurtner retained favor in the regime despite speaking out on the monstrous treatment of political prisoners in the 1930's. He died in 1941, before the full extent of Hitler's atrocities became well known.

One dealer enthused, "As far as the gun is concerned, it's as pretty a gun as I've seen in ages and ages outside of a museum. It's just so beautifully made, in typical German fashion ... It was a lovely, lovely example of fine artistry, in terms of the engraving, and the woodwork on it, outstanding engineering in terms of the fit and finish of the operating parts. It had a removable cheek piece on the stock that was just to die for ... Just a wonderful gun. "

Although not ironclad, the provenance was strong and believable. "Is this really a gift Goering?" The same dealer added. "I think it probably was. This particular piece of provenance would probably not stand up in a court of law because it's one person's word, and the participants are long since deceased [and` Franz Gurtner 'is only a best guess based on the initials ]. Rarely can we prove where a particular gun came from. "

Among the other notable firearms were an Evans repeating rifle from Mechanic Falls, Maine, going for $ 1650, and an engraved Colt 12-gauge shotgun with Damascus barrels at $ 1925.

Mark Sisco
For more information, contact Cyr Auction Company at (207) 657-5253; www.cyrauction.com
© 2001 by Maine Antique Digest

August 2001 Contents | Search MAD | Comment | MAD Home Page | Search Auction Prices Database | Subscribe |
Http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/articles/cyr0801.htm
DWM 9.3 x70
While the 9.3 x62, 9.3 x64 and 9.3 x74R cartridges are widely known, the fewest hunters something with the 9.3 x70 DWM designation begin. The DWM-cartridge factory in Karlsruhe dealt in the 20 years he cartridges with developments on the basis of .. 404 "Jeffery sleeve (aka 10.75 x73). Removed from the sleeve were 7.65 calibre as x70, 7.65 x77, 8x73 and even The 9.3 x70. cartridges from the above is probably only 9.3 x70 in series production has gone. groove with the cartridge, 70-millimeter socket and 30-degree shoulder has been since the end of the 20 years he produced and DWM with bullets 15.0 to 18.59 grams. art Although grips with the cartridge still in 98er-standard systems can accommodate, the Mauser-Magnum system more suitable. old This cartridge was developed by Harald Wolf (Belgium) and Günter Frères revived. Johannsen offers five Laborierungen (including a full coat) with bullets from 16.2 18.5 19.2 and 20.7 g versehen. twelve cartridges cost between 122 and 134 marks. Laborierung with 19.4 g Swift A-Frame floor-generated from the test weapon 825 metres / second V 5, constructed 6,616 joules. x70 DWM The 9.3 is suitable for wide shots on heavy deer, bears, Elk, moose, lion and wild steppe. Even for Red and Black game is a good choice dar.
Mr. Moeller Hello!

Your pages of testimony concentrated expertise in the field of weapons technology. Therefore, I hope that you acquire information on the following: Is there a big game cartridge on the basis of .. 404 "Jeffrey (because optimum soil diameter for standard system) wider on caliber with a 458 total length shortened? 460 Short-A-Square would have the right length, but thick soil diameter. read, I have a 450 Guns and Ammo, or from a 460-Guns and Ammo. however, no one has data. Nobody knows anything precise. Maybe you know more than me the rumour so far took place, so my DWM-1909 system in its optimal determination can be fed.

Yours sincerely, and Waidmannsheil, Michael Westergom, Karlsruhe
Day Mr. Westergom,
No, I know your cartridge. However, for about 700 € uro tool every new cartridge from an old. Any good gunsmith should do this for you. Otherwise, I would at a 9.3 x64 Brenneke or 9.3 x70 DWM. Why thicker shells? More land will load you are not readily. More recoil in any case. Long bullets penetrate deeply. Beam brake only. With copper hunting bullets come to any big game in the world so. The projectiles Außenballistik leaner is better. The effect of depth long projectiles is better. Ask times Hans-Peter Sigg under .338 Magnum in Lapua Mauser 98 caps. He says with hunting bullets to get the 338 LM even burned. Ask him yourself
Waidmannsheil, Lutz Möller
9.3 mm KJG Spitz
Hello Lutz,
The 9.3 mm KJG with black tip of my fly from 9.3 x62 angle, although so far only on the shooting range shot, but I go hunting for a good effect as in the 8mmS KJG.
What about the 8mmS KJG with black tip, which I ordered?
LM: KJG on hold because packaging is missing! | 12 March 2007, Next week is the beheoben.
Now, my question: Are these 9.3 mm 10g KJG with black top for a 9.3 x70 DWM?
LM: Yes!
Or is there was longer and heavier.
LM: As a special request, there is everything!
I will no elephants, rhinos, hippos or lions to impose. Rather, black and red deer waidgerechte distances to the target (possibly mal ne large antelope, a warthog or a buffalo).
LM: This is as good enough!

Greetings, Dietrich, Tuesday, 20 March 2007 10:26

9.3 mm KJG Spitz

9.3 mm pointed KJG before and after 1,100 m / s water impact

9.3 mm splitter

Twist Stable 9.3 x70 DWM floor
Hello Lutz,
After reading the page: "How long must drallstabilisierte bullets?" I would now like to know how long your KJG with black lace in my 8x68S with 280 mm and 9.3 in my x70DWM with 360 mm length twist may be to secure yet drallstabil fly them. It gives me the 9.3 x70 important for me because it dickhäutigere Africans seem more appropriate and therefore more interesting is something for a special order request to consider.
Greeting and Waidmannsheil, Dietrich L., Monday, 7 May 2007 09:08
Moin Lutz,

That's no hurry, and if I absolutely need it, I know not. I basically would like to know how long and how hard to follow KJG with a black peak in the above races can be. Had may well be that something you ever expected, and data about hättest. The purpose of a 9.3 mm long KJG msS would be a floor general, for example for Africa. For the same initial effect by splinters, as Hohlspitze unchanged for a small increase in the depth effect for the adults by larger surface load of schulterstabilen Restbolzens, to improve the aerodynamic Außenbalistik one for the rear afraid shall receive, the wder greater length to make should be. The 9.3 x70 sleeve should be large enough to accommodate a slightly heavier bullet is enough to accelerate (<900 m / V 100). It is just an idea, but maybe you can make of it what yes.
I still remember what! If the KJG longer would a change would lead perhaps even a wide-Gestrecktflugvorteil? Course, in the form of long standing is available when in conjunction with the black tip ever could.

Greetings, Dietrich
Waidmannsheil, Lutz Möller, 3696-698@online.de

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
When I first posted this thread a lot of people we looking into starting a rifle project in this caliber.

DID ANY OF YOU ACTUALLY COMPLETE ONE?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!
There was an intersting information about this cartridge and also rifles in following forum:
http://www.african-hunter.com/HatariTimes/the_9,3x70_magnum.htm
But unfortunately it is being rebuilding and not yet available.
Bye

Posts: 71 | Location: France close to Paris | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
If I happened to have a Rem M700 action from a 338 Win would it be convertable to this caliber?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
should I just keep posting to see if anyone has any new information on this caliber????

I am amazed no one is interested in this case at 2900 fps for a 286 grain slug????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to do this chambering but it's a ways down on the "someday" list. Like a lot of folks here, I read the article Harald Wolf wrote for Hatari Times. That got me revved up but then I began to think a little further and it seemed to be more involved than some other projects. For me, the biggest hang-ups are locating correctly head-stamped brass (it's a personal thing) and reloading dies.

(If you have any leads on components and such, please let me know.)

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote