New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 100yd Zero for 7mmag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm shooting a Ruger M77 7mmmag, 24" bbl, with Remington 160 gr. Ultra Core Locs. This has proven to be the best factory load for this rifle (sub moa). I'm looking to set it up for a mule deer/ Elk hunt and wouldn't shoot beyond 400yds.
Remington claims about 2950fps for this load. I don't have a ballistic table and would appreciate a ballpark 100yd zero to try. Thanks much.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
3" high at 100 yards. Should be no more than 3.5" high or low out to about 300 yards and about 15" low at 400 yards.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I set my 7 mag at 2 1/2" high at 100 yards. It gives you a kill box from 0 to about 325 without any holdover/under. If you need to shhot out to 400 then only a cuople of inches more will do the trick.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 7mm Rem Mag and have it 2.75 high at 100 and this is on to about 300 yds and only about 4" low at 350.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm a 3" high @ 100 guy too.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 2 in. high, three inches will make it almost 4 in. high at 150, which is a lot at a distance where I kill a lot of game. If nothing else, it makes it tough to practice on coyotes, foxes, etc.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I set mine on 2.5" at 100yds. Make sure you shoot it at 300 to know the drop. 400 is a little to far for me to shoot.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more vote for 3" but I makrethe top of my group at 3" and the rest to hit lower. This usually puts the group center about 2.96 high or so depending on group size. IN most rifles you are good to go at point of aim to 300 yds and at 400 put the horzontal cross hair on the critters back and the bullet should drop right in.

Although IMO 400 yds is pushing how far you should shoot an unwoulded animal. I've shot further so I'm certainly not preaching but if possible get a bit closer. Today I try to stay inside 300. just my way but I'm not about to frown on others. My longest shot was 640 yards on a black bear and it took me hours to finish him off because I was too far back. That is a lesson I learned well and will not shoot at that distance again.

Sorry for the hijack I got to rambeling rant off. Good luck geting your 7mm set up. I think you'll like the caliber.

John

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Download the free "Pointblank" from http://www.huntingnut.com and enter your data.

PRC7MMRC Premier Core-Lokt Ultra 160 Core-Lokt® Ultra Bonded 9 1/2 M 0.415 <--- Ci

http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/centerfire/results.asp?cal=20

Then play with the zero's and print out one and carry it with you. Keep in mind that wind drift can be more important than drop. Three hundred yards is a long way but with practice.....

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote