Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting resizing die
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ruttinbuck
posted
I just bought some new to me RCBS dies for my '06.I am trying to adjust the resizer so the brass are tight in the chamber when the bolt closes.I am neck sizing as the brass is once fired so far in the same rifle.I was seeing a slight bulge in the case neck when I ran the brass through the die so I adjusted to get rid of the bulge{turned the center tool in or down in the die} but can't seem to get the case length so the bolt closes with resistance on the brass.Any advice would be great RB

Red comyn of Altyre

Posts: 95 | Location: interior BC | Registered: 07 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neck sizing does nothing to bump back the shoulder after a round has been fired. Periodically or often, depending on the case and load being fired, the shoulder gets blown out. That requires a full length die or body die to bump the shoulder back to where it will again fit in your chamber. Neck dies just won't do it when this happens. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
Did you mic the expander plug? Have you tried seating a bullet in a case now that you've turned it down? Are you working on the same piece of brass? (I.e., have you tried with "fresh" once-fired cases?)
I don't like resistance when I close the bolt. I just size right down onto the shoulder, just "kissing" it. For any real resistance, you need the brass to be longer than the chamber, and the chamber to size the brass into place. Does your unresized brass chamber with resistance? If it don't then, it won't with sizing. If it does, then you're just pushing it back to far.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruttinbuck:
.I am trying to adjust the resizer so the brass are tight in the chamber when the bolt closes.I am neck sizing as the brass is once fired so far in the same rifle.

Don't know why you want the cases tight, but
neck sizing won't do it. If the cases have
been fired in your rifle you are already about
perfect.
If you really want to feel some pressure you'll
have to partially FLS, and even then it may not
work.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ruttinbuck, Good for you. You are trying to Set-Up so you can Partial-Full Length Resize(P-FLR).

1. Put the Shell Holder in the press and raise the ram.

2. Screw the Full Length(FL) Die into the press so it is about a "nickle's thickness" above the Shell Holder.

3. Lube a "Fired" case (walls and inside the neck) and squash it.

4. Remove the Lube and try closing the bolt on it in the chamber.

5. If the bolt closes with no resistance, screw the FL Die into the press about 1/8-1/4 turn and repeat steps 3 & 4.

6. As you feel the resistance begin, slow down how much you screw the FL Die into the press so you are at about 1/16 of a turn, or "Fine Tuning". At some point you will not be able to close the bolt and you are extremely close to having the FL Die in the proper position.

NOTE: The reason for this is because the FL Die has begun Resizing the Case-walls down to the Pressure Ring. As it does so, the Case-body lengthens slightly which in turn moves the Case-shoulder slightly forward. Then as the "Fine Tuning" continues the Case-shoulder makes contact with the FL Die and is moved slightly reward(or slightly shortens the Case-head to Case-shoulder dimension).

7. Stop when there is a slight bit of resistance when closing the bolt on the empty case. You now have a "slight crush fit" for the case in that specific chamber, or Zero Headspace.

8. Once you get it where you want it, take some masking tape or a black marker and put a Witness Mark where the FL Die Lock Ring is positioned to hold the FL Die in this position. Loosen the FL Die and return the Lock Ring to align with the Witness Mark and sung up the Set-Screw.

Screw the FL Die back into the press and try squashing another case. It should have the same resistance as the previous one. If not, you need to re-adjust the Lock Ring so it does. But you are extremely close to where you want it, so make very small changes at this point.

Occasionally check the fit of the cases in the chamber, say every 5th firing just to make sure nothing has slipped. Checking more often won't hurt anything and give you confidence that the Set-Up is still proper.

You have now Set-Up the FL Die to P-FLR and will have the very best opportunity at having long case life and the very best accuracy possible.

If you are hunting in Dangerous Game country, you should forget P-FLRing or Neck Sizing, and always Full Length Resize so the case chambers and extracts easily.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ruttinbuck
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info guys.
Hot core you have hit the nail on the head.My local gunshop guru was trying to explain the same die setup to me.Yes I want the partial full length resize.I believe I can acheive the best accuracy with that method.I am off to try the setup instructions.RB

Red comyn of Altyre

Posts: 95 | Location: interior BC | Registered: 07 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruttinbuck:
thanks for the info guys.
Hot core you have hit the nail on the head.My local gunshop guru was trying to explain the same die setup to me.Yes I want the partial full length resize.I believe I can acheive the best accuracy with that method.I am off to try the setup instructions.RB
Fine reply by Hotcore,I P-FLR as he does,if your chamber is standard that will work fine,but if your chamber is out of standard dimensions;how your chamber was cut,(using standard dies)you can get" problems"concerning accuracy,try it and lets us know,goood luck...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rejpelly:
...if your chamber is out of standard dimensions;how your chamber was cut,(using standard dies)you can get" problems"concerning accuracy,try it and lets us know,goood luck...
Hey Ruttinbuck, I also agree with rejpelly.

Glad that was what you wanted to know. But let me add (in support of rejpelly's post) that it is still a good idea to run a "Blind Test" using cases which have been P-FLRed and others Neck Sized or whatever your normal method is. Then see for yourself which shoots the best for you. It may be that Neck Sizing is better in your rifle. Just have a buddy hand the cartridges to you so you do not know which ones you are shooting.

I like to put about 15-18 into a single target and of course mark any "known" fliers due to improper trigger handling. Then compare the results of the two targets and see which did the best for you.

I repeat this same test every 5 years or so and for me the P-FLR has always been the best - by a small amount. But the benefits of Zero Headspace and long case life are wonderful benefits in themselves.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote