THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    SAECO #410 FP, 220 gr for 41 Magnum, any experience?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAECO #410 FP, 220 gr for 41 Magnum, any experience?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any experience with SAECO #410 FP, 220 gr? See http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/saecoprods.html , click on “Bullet Mould Chartâ€. What is the diameter of the front driving band? Looking for a good bullet for silhouette shooting ½ scale, using 41 Bisley and eventually S&W 657. Velocity about 1100 fps, 1200 fps max.

I would appreciate powder and load suggestion.

Became curious about band dia because I just got from a friend few hundred bullets SAECO #409, 190 gr. Didn’t have the chance to try them yet but discovered that the front driving band is .408†only. Used one to slug 41 Bisley and sure enough, front band didn’t reach the groove. Thanks.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you are calling the front driving band, because this bullet's profile is totally different from a typical SWC. But having said that, I do have the mould, and I miked two different bullets (cast of pure wheelweight metal): one straight from the mould, and one that has been through a .410" Star sizer. Diameters are as follows:

Unsized bullet: .4111" below grease groove, .4110" above, and.4095" just above the crimp groove.

Sized bullet: .4097" below grease groove, .4098" above, and .4097" just above the crimp groove.

And FWIW, using 13 grains of WC 820PD from Jeff Bartlett, it was a wonderfully accurate projectile. I haven't shot the load through a scoped Model 57 yet (or chrono'ed the load either...), but it is a very accurate bullet.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WC 820PD

Thanks Doubless, that is exact information I am looking for. Did you try any other powder with SAECO #410 FP?

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I did not, but over the years I have had extremely good results with AA #5 and #9, as well as with Hodgdon Universal. You, however, if you are going to shoot silhouettes, might want to try IMR 4227. I had my absolutely best accuracy with that powder. It left a few unburned kernels in the case, but that was of no concern to me, so long as accuracy was there and felt recoil was manageable.
I think if you want to go with some 4227, I would start with about 19 grains and work up slowly. I used 21.0 behind the 210 RCBS, and it was phenomenal...

BTW, with wheel weights, the SAECO #410 weighs a nomimnal 228 grains out of my mould, and all four cavities are within a grain...

Best regards, glad I could be of help.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote