Tools

BC Cougar & Lynx Hunt Report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Orvar
posted
Guides: Marc, Richard, Denver and Brent
Dogs: Sixpack, Dakota and Kirky

We just returned from our, booked 2 years ago by my brother, Cougar and Lynx hunt in British Columbia. My brother, a friend and I hunted for 7 days, based on Penticton BC, with Okanagan Outfitters. While originally a bow-hunt, since the wife and I spent Christmas in San Fransisco before flying to BC, I chose to just use the guide's rifle and forgo the additional hassles of many flights with bow case. For me, the right decision in the end. We flew United all the way (JFK - San Fransisco - Vancouver - Penticton) without hassle or any delay. Was really nice not having to clear customs or deal with gate-people unfamiliar with firearms during the holiday season.

The hunt was based out of the lodge, just outside of Penticton proper. We slept in nice wide (although short) bunkbeds, and had a nice common area for gear (wet!) and lounging after the hunt. Meals were served in the main house, with hearty breakfasts in the morning and nice dinners in the evening; lunch was packed sandwiches.

We hunted each day in different areas, using snowmobiles to check for tracks on the snow (legal in this part of BC), from which to loose the dogs. The snows were very late this year, but there was a good base for the guides to work from. While the guides were out cutting tracks - which unless you have a ton of off-track snowmobiling experience, I don't recommend trying to "help" with as you just slow them down - we tried a few times to call in coyotes, with no success.

On day 1 my brother's team cut a really good cat in the afternoon, and the chase was on. Unfortunately, it went long, and past dark; so the chase was abandoned and dogs pulled from the treed cat late in the night. But good sign!

On day 3, his birthday, my brother got his cat, a good size female, in the same area they had run the cat on day 1. Marc actually treed the cat himself (without dogs) while walking up the trail. We have awesome closeup footage of the cat, while waiting for my brother to arrive and shoot! (to be posted when edited later)

Day 4 was it for me! We drove to the area we'd been working on with Richard, that held a very big track, but were called over my Marc around midday, to his area (where my brother shot his) to run what they thought was a good track. We set the dogs loose around 1pm and they tore off down the trail. We tracked them via the Astro for about 1.5miles, til they treed the cat. Off we sped, as light was fading fast. I arrived at the tree, with a really good tom in it. I made a through-the-branches chest shot first, as he was getting quite antsy and didn't want to lose him. As he didn't go down instantly, and nobody wanted to have to chase him, I shot him again in the neck. He hit the ground resoundingly. A massive cat! ~180lbs - great for my first BC Cougar.

The rest of the days were spent looking for tracks for the last hunter in the group, which he finally got the last day in the afternoon. Nice tom, and fitting end to the trip. 3 hunters with 3 nice cats.

I hunted to remaining 3 days for Lynx tracks, but never found any fresh enough to run the dogs unfortunately.

It was a really nice trip with brother and friends. Marc and everyone were both really nice as well as real experts at the hunting, while allowing us to participate and learn along the way, which was fun. Kinda disappointed we didn’t cut any good Lynx tracks, but i) that's hunting and ii) that’s a reason to go back! Smiler

Posts: 1486 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Orvar
posted Hide Post
Argh, can't get the pictures to resize to more appropriate to the size... sorry all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
what a lion!

mario

Posts: 1417 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic - congratulations.

Posts: 207 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Well done!!

Posts: 2503 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Orvar
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Awesome cat!!! Hopefully we can get a leopard close to that weight in 2015? Imagine?

Posts: 595 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Fantastic cat! Congrats Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Orvar
posted Hide Post
Thierry: ha, she would love that... and my too!

Thanks Anders

Orvar

one of us
posted Hide Post
Orvar,

Just saw this. Nice cougar. Everyone should follow the hounds at least once.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7215 GREAT DOVER ST.
LAS VEGAS, NV 89166
Office 702-848-1693
Cell 307-250-1156
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 11732 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Looks cold, however.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2965 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote