Tools

16 Point Whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
16 points - 215 1/8" gross

Rifle: Knight Revolution II
Scope: Leupold Ultimateslam with SABR reticle (I love this scope on a muzzleloader!)
Bullet: Hornady 250 gr. SST Sabot
Powder: Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets - 150 grains
Primer: Winchester Triple Seven

We had a hell of a weekend, as you can see. We killed seven antlered bucks and a few does. No high fences, no corn feeders, no super-duper-gotta-have-it-ultimate-supreme-ultra-scent-locking-digitally regulated-lithium-battery-heated underwear here. Just a little planning and a lot of hard work.

After 25 years of hunting our undisclosed location, I killed (not "harvested"... that's what we do with corn and soybeans) the buck of a lifetime. The other bucks were no slouches either. We are all very proud and extremely thankful for such a great year.

I was pushing out a brushy little finger towards two hunting partners on stand. I spotted him at 60 yards bedded down and laying as tight to the ground as possible, just 50 yards below each of the two other hunters. He was laying low and hoping I would walk right past him, which is what has likely happened many times over the last few years. But this time, the sun was right and his rack was glistening in the sun like a giant white chandelier. I raised my rifle and all I could see was his rack ("OH MY GOD!!" I thought), his head, and about 3 inches of his neck sticking above the very thick brush. I placed the crosshair at the top of his neck and squeezed one off. All I remember is ducking down under the white smoke to see if I hit him. My other hunting buddy across the draw about 300 yds away watched the whole thing from the hillside. He said I got down on a knee for a quick prayer and then jumped up and down a couple of times waving my hands in the air. I honestly don't remember a thing up until walking up on him. I was in total shock.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Incredible buck, kill of a lifetime there! A question though; Is it a good idea to have the carcass on that floor after skinning?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
What a great buck! Congrats to the whole group on a VERY fruitful trip.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
Incredible buck, kill of a lifetime there! A question though; Is it a good idea to have the carcass on that floor after skinning?

Thanks to both of you!

And to answer your question: I only caped out the front half the first night. Only the distal front legs and chest touched the dirty floor, neither of which went into the burger, sausage, and jerky we made the following night.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Lots of nice bucks and of course the big dude is a dandy!

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW clap Congrats on an AWESOME buck

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
That is a GREAT buck!

Let me see if I have your story correct. You were on a deer driving pushing toward two other hunters on stands, and you just happened upon this MONSTER?

No game cam photos?
No one had ever seen him before?

BTW the other bucks aren't bad either.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Super buck and great photos. Well done. clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY well done sir. I especially appreciate the "no super-duper-gotta-have-it" part.

You earned this one. Much respect.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What county in Iowa were you hunting?

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
WOW!!
nice bucks

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lotta bone in those pictures! Congrats

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only reason I said Iowa is that I recognize the tags.

Beautiful bucks!!! Way to go!!! thumb

I hope I can put my Iowa tag on a buck like those during the late Muzzleloader season.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impressive , WOW!

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
He's a Beauty!!! Congrats!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thank you, everyone! I am really proud of him and our group in general. We were really lucky this year. Although there are always one or two nice ones, a year like this (minus the monster) seems to come in about 5 year cycles for us. I must admit that we did start passing on a lot of the smaller bucks the last couple of years. Perhaps we are seeing dividends now.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super bucks. Deer drives are a blast. Excellent choice of beer also.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Awsome Monster Buck! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted Hide Post
Very nice deer !

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 103 | Location: georgia | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote