New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy hunted, what next?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Situation: you are lucky enough to hunt amazing trophy of moose, bear, wapiti etc. Trophy photo, skinning, what next? What do you do with meat? How do you bring meat and trophy to home? Especially if you are in 3-4 days walking from road, base etc.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walk a lot , hopefully you have a couple freinds to help you.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I right that backpack hunting means that I should bring my trophy in my backpack without any vehicles?

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roman BGH:
Am I right that backpack hunting means that I should bring my trophy in my backpack without any vehicles?

Yes unless you have freinds with horses or atvs but then if one has thoses available why would one be backpack hunting.

I could see where one could travel to an area by vehicle hunt by foot with in a couple miles of vehicle then pack the meat ect back to the vehicle.

Or hunt on foot then bring a horse in to carry out the meat and trophy.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I thought backpack hunting means I only walk both ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. I thought backpack hunting means I only walk both ways.

There are some areas that do not allow motorized vehicles, and if you do not have horses, then your statement is correct. In most cases in the US, if you shoot an animal you are REQUIRED to bring out all the meat. This with large horns and a skin may take several trips. I have in the past carried in deer bags and will hang the meat in a tree and get it the next day, or days depending on the hike.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the local laws, in Australia or New Zealand you would on a wilderness backpack trophy hunt: Cape the head fully off the scull and salt it, cut the scull cap off the head and split it so it's easier to carry. Discard all the meat on the ground and start walking / hunting back to where you have to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot!

Is it fair backpack hunting when you use vehicles or horses to bring out trophy/meat (even if its legal)?

What the difference between backpack hunting and hunting from fly-camp, for example?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks a lot!

Is it fair backpack hunting when you use vehicles or horses to bring out trophy/meat (even if its legal)?

What the difference between backpack hunting and hunting from fly-camp, for example?

In the US I am not sure there is something called an "Illegal" backpack hunt. There are restrictions in some areas that limit the use of both motorized vehicles and horses.

a fly-camp or spike camp is typically set up a head of time and is stocked with basic items such as shelter, food, water, stove... Backpack hunting that I have done, I carry everything I need to complete the hunt on my back (stove, tent, sleeping bag, food ...)

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Backpack hunting that I have done, I carry everything I need to complete the hunt on my back (stove, tent, sleeping bag, food ...)

...hang the meat in a tree and get it the next day, or days depending on the hike...

I think its fair (true) backpack hunting. If somebody use vehicle (horse) to make fly camp or to get out meat - its not. Am I right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roman, I'd agree with you. It's a fine point though.

We pack in and if we get something we pack out the best cuts then try and find horses to bring the big pieces out. If we can't find horses (often the case) then we call our friends and have a "packing party." None of us have ever refused to help our buddies pack out meat because we know our turn is coming to ask for help with our own meat. When we pack for a buddy we don't ask for a share of the meat as we are just helping a friend, but when it's our meat coming out we don't feel obliged to share it either.

We go to the local bar after we're done packing and the hunter whose meat it was treats everyone to hamburgers and beer.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As 'Australia' said, backcountry trophy hunters here tend not to bring out much venison. You shoot only the biggest old stag you can find and his meat won't be much good anyway.

Personally, I would try to take the backstraps at least, though the ones we ate from a NZ bull tahr were tougher than boot leather.

For anyone strong enough, there's a way to 'fillet' a deer where you don't even gut the animal but just cut in for the outer backstraps and continue back around the outside of the rump. This, on a sambar, will give about 65 pounds of meat that might fit in a large daypack.

Those two-wheeled jalopies sold by Cabelas et al could be substitute for a horse, of course, as a way to get meat out of the woods.

Posts: 4961 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
To me, when I talk of backpack hunting it means exactly that. I leave behind the truck, motorized stuff and carry my entire support system on my back. If successful, I carry out the meat and horns/cape on my back, and got back often several times.

The advantage of backpacking is to reach areas that cannot be hunted by other means. Most hunters won't hunt an area that is this demanding so often times I see noone else the entire hunt. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that if I had paid for a "back pack" hunt and the outfitter rolled up with a truck to get the game out I'd be pissed. Not because of the truck but because I'd been given the impression that it was a remote place that warranted walking into.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I think that if I had paid for a "back pack" hunt and the outfitter rolled up with a truck to get the game out I'd be pissed. Not because of the truck but because I'd been given the impression that it was a remote place that warranted walking into.

If you're paying for a guide I guess he would help you get some of the meat out, even if there are no horses. In Africa the client is lucky if they let him carry the rifle Wink

Posts: 4961 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote