New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never seen this before
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On another site a man who has just started reloading had a problem when he changed brass, he stated that everything was the same with the exception of the brass, but now he was getting a sticky bolt. I thought that he must have altered the powder charge, as the load he was using was not particularly hot, or had altered something else during his second reloading attempt other than the brass. I suggested that he start again and build up his loads gradually, double checking everything as he went.

I did ask if he had a photograph of the brass, I was expecting to see flattened primers but this is what he produced,

I have never seen it before, and now need some help in identifying the problem This is the link to the other website, damaged brass can anybody shed some light on this for me please

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the neck is too long and crimps down on the case mouth so thatit can't open you may get such results. The pressure to blow the primer in
that manner is really really high.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The mark is being left by the ejector pin hole, but the blown primer is way over pressure. If his seating depth has not changed, and everything else stayed the same there are a few things I'd wonder about:
1. Case length variances
2. Same lot# of the components?
3. Crimping (caused by forcing long cartridge into chamber)

My father was getting some crazy pressure signs from a "mild" load in his .243W when it came down to it his seating depth was too long. He had switch bullets and though the weight was the same the ogive was different. It was just enough to cause issues.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The clear ejector mark is a certain sign of excessive pressure. What I found interesting is the highly touted "flattened" primers DON'T appear! Meaning, gaging pressure by primers is a lousy way to estimate what's happening.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about the primers, they are not as I expected them to be. So what does that do for flattened primers as a pressure sign? To be fair I had been told that it was not always reliable and a "sticky" bolt was a far better pressure sign.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal brass is heavy and do often have less space inside than other brands. If he used Norma, Lapua or some other brands this result is likely to happen.
If you have a powder scale tell him to weigh both types and I can almost guarantee that his Federal brass is significantly heavier.
The load however is probably quite hot anyway.

Less space in shell equals higher pressure.

-------------------------------------
Hmmm, coffee is good. Too bad that without it my head goes bananas. I should quit but hmmm, coffee is good!

Posts: 66 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
High pressure

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
High pressure

Why not?
If everything else is the same and the only thing that has changed is the brass, then why would it not be the brass type?
Other than that if there is a different seating depth or headspace issue then ok I can agree on that my stupid thought was really stupid.
I my selves have experienced the same result in a .308 Winchester I had.

I used Norma brass, 150 grains Sierra MK bullets, CCI primers and 45 grains of Norma 202 powder. It was ok with norma brass but absolutely not with Federal brass in my gun. I only neck sized the brass but i got almost the same results like this dude in this tread.
I compared my Federal brass weight with all other brands I had and no one was heavier than my Federal brass. It was even a visible powder level difference in the brass when it was loaded with the same amount.

Hmmm, coffee is good. Too bad that without it my head goes bananas. I should quit but hmmm, coffee is good!

Posts: 66 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Federal brass has proven very soft for me in 308 & 06. It may just be that the case isn't containing the pressure as well as a "harder" case. I no longer use Federal brass fro anything.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Walther:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
High pressure

Why not?
If everything else is the same and the only thing that has changed is the brass, then why would it not be the brass type?
Other than that if there is a different seating depth or headspace issue then ok I can agree on that my stupid thought was really stupid.
I my selves have experienced the same result in a .308 Winchester I had.

I used Norma brass, 150 grains Sierra MK bullets, CCI primers and 45 grains of Norma 202 powder. It was ok with norma brass but absolutely not with Federal brass in my gun. I only neck sized the brass but i got almost the same results like this dude in this tread.
I compared my Federal brass weight with all other brands I had and no one was heavier than my Federal brass. It was even a visible powder level difference in the brass when it was loaded with the same amount.

Yes high pressure....as a answer not a question.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is why it is recommended to reduce your loads when you change components.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he stated that everything was the same with the exception of the brass, but now he was getting a sticky bolt.

It could be the brass but it could be that everything eles is not exactly the same.
Humans have a difficult time admitting their mistakes or even believing it possible that they err.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAYB:
I know what you mean about the primers, they are not as I expected them to be. So what does that do for flattened primers as a pressure sign? To be fair I had been told that it was not always reliable and a "sticky" bolt was a far better pressure sign.

You should not rely on just one pressure sign. The signs are different in different guns. Primer inspection is useful in many guns but the primer appearance from gun to gun is not identical. A stickey bolt in a bolt action rifle means the pressure is WAY too high. A pierced primer in most cases means the pressure is very excessive as does a primer leak. A blown primer means the pressure is very high.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote