Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap Flights to Santiago
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
I subscribe to Scott’s Cheap Flights (I think an AR member turned me onto it). I received a notice about cheap flights to Santiago, Chile for just over $400 from Dallas between January to May. Santiago has been my connecting airport to Cordoba about 12 times, with BsAs being another. However, it’s Continental and I’ve never flown them to South America, but I did once to Costa Rica. In fact, I don’t even recall seeing any terminals for them in Santiago. This must be a new promotional flight.

Obviously, the stag roar will be covered during that period. Also, the dove hunting will also be good, as it always is in Cordoba. It also covers the early part of duck (I think) and perdiz.

I also received an email about $500 flights to Bogota from Chicago, and I’ve stopped off there and Lima in the past.

I am not affiliated with the website, but just a heads up, as I hope we will be able to travel there by then.

Moderators, please feel free if this is more suited to the travel forum.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this Marcus, I haven't heard of this site and will check it out. I'd like to go to Argentina again to shoot doves, only been once but it was lots of fun.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Karl,

The flights typically are only good for a few days, but this is still available for certain dates. I still
Might gamble on one. I’ve paid anywhere from $850-$2,000 For coach over the past 14 years. Flights from SCL to COR should be around $200. That allows for a lot more shells!

A lot of the DSC leadership have been with us in the past and had fun, but it’s hard not to have fun down there.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Went through Santiago once (well, technically twice, counting the return). Was connecting to Cordoba (with guns) but this was an "in transit" stop only. I'd questioned if I needed anything from the Chilean government regarding our guns (wife's rifle, my shotgun). Nope, all good, come on...

Well, the black-pajama clad Santiago airport security detachment didn't share that rosy perspective. Examined the guns. Examined passports, Argentine consulate paperwork for firearm importation. Photographed everything. I'm trying to help them understand that I'm only passing through...no threat to Chilean national security here.

After far too long (all the while with me considering how well I'm going to do inside a Santiago prison) they decide that I'm a problem for the Argentinians (which was what I was trying to tell them all along).

Made it to Cordoba. Went south where Jane shot a nice stag, then north of Cordoba to hammer the doves. A great trip. In Argentina.

The return thru Santaigo? Same crap, just a shorter version. It'll be a cold day in Central Hell before I pitch up in Santaigo again.

I'm sure if you're traveling "gun-less" everything will be fine. But it's gonna have to be you doing it...not me. I'm done with Chile in general and Santiago in particular.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 218 Bee:
Went through Santiago once (well, technically twice, counting the return). Was connecting to Cordoba (with guns) but this was an "in transit" stop only. I'd questioned if I needed anything from the Chilean government regarding our guns (wife's rifle, my shotgun). Nope, all good, come on...

Well, the black-pajama clad Santiago airport security detachment didn't share that rosy perspective. Examined the guns. Examined passports, Argentine consulate paperwork for firearm importation. Photographed everything. I'm trying to help them understand that I'm only passing through...no threat to Chilean national security here.

After far too long (all the while with me considering how well I'm going to do inside a Santiago prison) they decide that I'm a problem for the Argentinians (which was what I was trying to tell them all along).

Made it to Cordoba. Went south where Jane shot a nice stag, then north of Cordoba to hammer the doves. A great trip. In Argentina.

The return thru Santaigo? Same crap, just a shorter version. It'll be a cold day in Central Hell before I pitch up in Santaigo again.

I'm sure if you're traveling "gun-less" everything will be fine. But it's gonna have to be you doing it...not me. I'm done with Chile in general and Santiago in particular.

Mark

Chileans and Argentines have a bitter rivalry. I quit taking guns long ago.

The Chilean government changes their policy about guns in transit at the drop of a hat. We had a client that would always bring his own gun because he required a ridiculously long LOP. He had a similar experience in Santiago because they changed the regulations without warning on an Argentine holiday. It caused them to miss their connection and a hunting day.

In the end, he tore up the return tickets and chartered a King Air to BsAs with new tickets home to avoid Santiago. This client also paid to have his own personal “camp gun” that was identical to his own with the long LOP so that he didn’t have to deal with the hassle anymore.

Traveling with guns is never easy, but I do know people often prefer their own. We did have one guy who was a competitive shotgunner who brought his own stock that we just put on one of our Berettas. Personally, there is so much shooting down there that you get used to whatever gun.

Marcus Cady

DRSS