THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Buenos Aires Gun Shops, Sporting recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buenos Aires Gun Shops, Sporting recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several of us will be hunting ducks mid July and will have a couple days in Buenos Aires. Can anyone recommend activities or sights that we might enjoy. I’m sure such a great city has multitudes of opportunity, but what would some of our experienced travelers recommend.
Thanks!

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been down quite a few times. Somewhere in the range of 15-20. Given what I hear from my friends there and what they ask me to acquire for them, I doubt gun shops will have much of interest.

Personally, I hate staying in Buenos Aires. The drivers in that place are insane. On our first trip, we got hit ( not badly) by 3 other cars and no one even slowed down. I like to get out in the country where I can see some ducks or doves.

There are some really outstanding restaurants there. It is the red meat capitol of the world. I will try and remember some names.

There is also the tango shows if that type of thing interests you.

Let me try and remember names. Sorry. Old age.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked a friend down there. Here is his response:

As per Buenos Aires activity; they can go to a good tango show, or sightseeing for different kinds of 1800 built palaces etc.… or just walk around and have a good dinner at any of the many restaurants available. They can look up restaurants and tango shows on trip advisor. Sottovocce, Cabana las Lilas, Senor Tango or Red Tango are some shows and restaurants.
There are also great night clubs that they could research online.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Was down in April and did not stay over night but got a day room and ate lunch at Fervor near Recoleta and it was first class.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’ve also lost count of the number of trips I’ve made, but also like Larry, I try to avoid BsAs if at all possible. There are some cool historical sites and great restaurants (i.e. expensive). The sites might be La Frigata (an old warship in the harbor), Casa Rosada (Pink House which is their White House), and cruise Avenida Libertadores (where many shops are located, but also high rent which means...). I can’t comment on the Tango show.

Also like Larry said, my guys ask for sporting goods and electronics to be brought or they buy when here during DSC. There is one of the only 4-5 Beretta Galleries in the world. I’ve never been, as I have one less than 2 miles from me.

One thing I would suggest as far a purchases, look for authentic leather goods. You might want to contact your outfitter to see if they have a guide they use for situations like this, as it is quite common. BsAs is one of the 10 biggest cities in the world, or something close to that, and it would help to have a trusted guide. Larry also nailed it about the driving. Almost all of the drivers scare me in Argentina.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the insight into BA. guess the tango show is a staple as we’ve got that planned and we’ve heard the beef and wine is world class. Well we’ll really enjoy the ducks!!
Thank you all for taking time to reply.
Larry

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I’ve also lost count of the number of trips I’ve made, but also like Larry, I try to avoid BsAs if at all possible. There are some cool historical sites and great restaurants (i.e. expensive). The sites might be La Frigata (an old warship in the harbor), Casa Rosada (Pink House which is their White House), and cruise Avenida Libertadores (where many shops are located, but also high rent which means...). I can’t comment on the Tango show.

Also like Larry said, my guys ask for sporting goods and electronics to be brought or they buy when here during DSC. There is one of the only 4-5 Beretta Galleries in the world. I’ve never been, as I have one less than 2 miles from me.

One thing I would suggest as far a purchases, look for authentic leather goods. You might want to contact your outfitter to see if they have a guide they use for situations like this, as it is quite common. BsAs is one of the 10 biggest cities in the world, or something close to that, and it would help to have a trusted guide. Larry also nailed it about the driving. Almost all of the drivers scare me in Argentina.

Yup, I had forgotten about the leather goods. They indeed have some fantastic leather goods down there. If you are in to that sort of thing, it is worth taking a look. I forget the name of that one company . I have bought my wife quite a few purses that they made.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I lived in Buenos Aires and travel there several times every year for work. Have been there 3 times this year already. It is one of my favorite cities. Definitely my favorite big city in Latin America. Macri has done a great job cleaning up this beautiful city but the economy is still crap. Don't think you will get great deals because of the high exchange rate. Prices are high. To keep things in perspective, compare similar quality of goods/service with what it would cost in the US. For example, I compare my favorite restaurants in Buenos Aires with a comparable restaurant in the US. With those thoughts, Estilo Campo is very reasonable. However, you will see some common Argentine wines that can be found in the US to be the same or even cheaper in the US.

The best place for meat on the planet is "Estilo Campo" in Puerto Madero. There are a lot of others, but this is the best. Don Julio in Palermo is a parilla I eat at regularly because it is close to my old apartment and I always stay in that area when I am there for business. The food is always great.

I have been to a lot of the sporting goods stores there. Waste of time in my opinion.

Info for Tango Shows: https://www.solsalute.com/blog...hows-in-buenos-aires I have been to every one of these (and more). They are all good. Generally take gringo guests to Senor Tango when they come to town for business.

Safe travels...….LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How good are the steaks in Argentina ? Worth a trip?

I have little interest in shooting doves. Ducks and pigeons might be interesting.

I am very tempted to go to Argentina.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I think it is but I have spent most of my adult life working somewhere in Latin America. I seldom order a steak in Argentina. I order the cuts Argentina is known for (tira asado, vacio, etc.)and prefer the full parrilla experience with empanadas, chorizo, morcilla, chinchulines, mollejas y provoleta for starters.

I am sure if you go to any of the nicer lodges in Argentina, you will get a great parrilla experience with great meats and wines.

I don’t care much to shoot dove again either but I would like to go meet, socialize and hunt with the Dr. Juan Pozzi that posts here.

Safe travels....LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
How good are the steaks in Argentina ? Worth a trip?

I have little interest in shooting doves. Ducks and pigeons might be interesting.

I am very tempted to go to Argentina.

Mike

Mike:

The meals are incredible.

The doves, at least where we go, are different. No stress. No early rising. Lots of shooting. The evening can be a party. If I had to describe it succinctly I would describe it as follows. Lots of shooting, laughing and eating.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ok here we go ,dinner a BIG steak at LA ESTANCIA parrillada ,go to taste a coffe and leche merengada at CAFE TORTONI ,visit SENOR TANGO for a good tango show ,visit the weapons museum ,take the open tourist bus ,have lunch at PLAZA MAYOR or and there drink apples sidra chopp ,visit TIRO FEDERAL ARGENTINO ,have lunch at PUERTO MADERO LA TABLITA or similars ,take the tourist boat to EL TIGRE .... CoolI have more fun but i have to be with you Wink

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leather and some shooting accessories at Arandu. I think they have two or three locations, or at least did. Very nice shop in the Recoleta.
I got a three legged leather seat shooting stool, briefcase and nice purse for the wife.
Food in BA is incredible.
Arandu has a website.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Ok here we go ,dinner a BIG steak at LA ESTANCIA parrillada ,go to taste a coffe and leche merengada at CAFE TORTONI ,visit SENOR TANGO for a good tango show ,visit the weapons museum ,take the open tourist bus ,have lunch at PLAZA MAYOR or and there drink apples sidra chopp ,visit TIRO FEDERAL ARGENTINO ,have lunch at PUERTO MADERO LA TABLITA or similars ,take the tourist boat to EL TIGRE .... CoolI have more fun but i have to be with you Wink

Have to agree with my friend Juan!

Except for the tango...I'm a 100% PORTEÑO (born and raised in Buenos Aires) and I hate tango and mate...never got a clue about why tourists are so fond of tango...including the great actor Bob Duvall (btw, the movie he shot down here on tango was a total fuck up!!) thumbdown

quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I order the cuts Argentina is known for (tira asado, vacio, etc.)and prefer the full parrilla experience with empanadas, chorizo, morcilla, chinchulines, mollejas y provoleta for starters.

Safe travels....LL

What a wise man! One of mine for sure! tu2 tu2

If any of you guys, happen to come down here, count on me to greet you, it's my pleasure to assist any fellow hunter coming from abroad. Just drop me a message and that' it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to all that have shared their knowledge.
Lots of good ideas here.
Larry

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, the full parrilla experience is the way to go with a nice Malbec to wash it down.

I also don’t get Mate, even though I have my own gourd/mate y Yerba en Los EEUU. I guess it was from mi ex novia. Jajaja

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Spent a couple of days in BA as a tourist before Christmas. Dont even think of driving there - those drivers are totally mental. Scared the bejeezes out of me watching from the sidewalk - and thats just the cars , scooter drivers all have a death wish there too....

We too an open top bus tour around the city - it has english language commentary via headphones and is a nice way of see the city without dying. But you really do need a local as a guide, just to translate for you.

Have fun , the food is amazing in you are a meat eater , and the people a wonderful. Just be careful after dark.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Visited gun shops in BA, but it’s been several years ago. Disappointing...nothing different or unique. Same firearms as we have in US. Would not waste my time.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote