New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those who have been:
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a bit of time on my hands before I start my next company, as I just ended a corporation.

I've done Africa enough to like going there and know people and about the same with Mexico, as I live in Texas, but I hadn't had occasion to venture further south in the Americas where time permitted, probably as much because I don't really know anybody south of Puerto Angel...

...So, If one were going to take a bit of time off for Latin American hunting/fishing (yes, I've read the forums and the books and magazines and seen the movies) anybody care to weigh in with the brighter and lesser sparks if one were to go South instead of South by way of Senegal?

Camp conditions and such matter a bit but I'm happy with getting what I pay for so primitive deosn't bother me nor does swimming pool sorts of places.

Feel free to chip in your thoughts and i shall read them. Not decided on if I'll just go to Africa again but I'm decided I should give my neighbors south of Mexico a chance, perhaps.

Thanks,
PM

Side note--Places that allow handgun hunting on any level, big or small game, have a bit of an advantage in the mind of a handgun hunter with a load of rifles but likes both...

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
You would not be unhappy with Argentina for several reasons. Abundance and numbers of game cannot compare to Africa, but what there is can be very worthwhile. And I speak of bird hunting which may be the hottest location worldwide. Asian buffalo, Red Stag, feral boar, and many introduced species. Free range or estate.

What I enjoy the most, and what has caused me to return year after year, are as follows:

Safe.
Excellent hospitality and friendly people. I have made friends there that I consider as part of my family.
Safe.
No better beef anywhere.
Safe.
Excellent wine and beer.
Many experienced and capable outfitters.
As a side trip Buenos Aires has a great deal to offer, and for a city its size I have found it
far less daunting, and much safer, than to be spending time in Johannesburg or Cape Town, or any African city for that matter.
No problem with bringing in firearms, including handguns, to hunt with, although at a cost. Last I heard about $100.00 per gun.
The several provinces that make up Patagonia contain some of the most beautiful landscapes and geography I have ever encountered.
Craig Boddington is currently working on a book about Argentine hunting and it should be out soon.
Keep tuned to this thread and you will hear a great deal more.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I will second what Bill said. My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in Argentina on a red stag hunt and also sight seeing in Bariloche and BA. It was a great trip and I will go back and add fishing and bird shooting to the trip. You will not be disappointed. PM me if you want more details.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll 3rd it - great destination

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I fell in love with the country and people. It probably doesn't hurt that I enjoy wing shooting more than big game hunting at this stage in my hunting history. Plus, Juan Pozzi and his posse are some of the finest folks you could hope to spend time with.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:
I fell in love with the country and people. It probably doesn't hurt that I enjoy wing shooting more than big game hunting at this stage in my hunting history. Plus, Juan Pozzi and his posse are some of the finest folks you could hope to spend time with.

Perry

I think you misspelled "posse." dancing

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Bill,

dancing Big Grin Eeker clap rotflmo beer jumping yuck lol

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Wait to meet "the turist travel guide", "BBQ master" and friendly Rambo del Sur. Mr. Guille, sorry no pickup boys from me, but maybe a nice Cordoba cat........ Wink

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:
Wait to meet "the turist travel guide", "BBQ master" and friendly Rambo del Sur. Mr. Guille, sorry no pickup boys from me, but maybe a nice Cordoba cat........ Wink

Second that. thumb He is an excellent guide, an excellent asador, a great hunter, and a top notch marksman. BOOM However I must confess, that he is not as much fun to be around as the modest and humble El Furtivo shocker who is neither a guide nor an asador, but a teller of stories which comes at a meager price; beef, chorizos and Malbec. diggin What greater pleasure can one seek in Argentina than a quiet evening after the hunt, a nice fire in the parilla, a cold Quilmes stout before the meal, and the company of the magician of words, El Furtivo. Arrangements can be made through Guillermo. clap

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I have been down to Argentina 3 times in the past 4 years (skipped a year to go to Africa). It is my favorite place outside of Texas. The first 2 trips were wingshooting only, and the last was wigshooting/big game. What everyone said prior to my post is spot on. I have not been to BA yet, but did enjoy spending time in Cordoba City. Great people, food, drink, hunting, and experience.

The outfitters have also become part of the family and stay with me for DSC and other conventions in Dallas.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Argentina is the best hunting and fishing destination in South America.

It'a a BIG country, so it will take someone many trips to discover it.

The Chaco area, the Iberá swamps, the Pampa, the Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego, just to name some of their wonderful places...

Great people, great wines and the most beatiful ladies around the world.

In the right area with the right outfitter you will have a hunting trip as good as it gets.

I can't believe I am talking so well about these bloody argentinians but the truth is: What a beatiful country they have !!!

thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo. wave Ah, the ladies.....for me, a gift for the eyes. And during my next journey I intend to go as far south as I can; Tierra del Fuego and Usuhiai.

I know that my friends want me to hunt stag and boars this coming year, but for me, there is more of a desire to see more of the country. I guess I can do both.

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Argentina is the best hunting and fishing destination in South America.

It'a a BIG country, so it will take someone many trips to discover it.

The Chaco area, the Iberá swamps, the Pampa, the Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego, just to name some of their wonderful places...

Great people, great wines and the most beatiful ladies around the world.

In the right area with the right outfitter you will have a hunting trip as good as it gets.

I can't believe I am talking so well about these bloody argentinians but the truth is: What a beatiful country they have !!!

thumb

L

I can`t believe what I am reading !!! Eeker Eeker

Is that really you Lorenzo ???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

All written is absolutely true, just that I am not at all accustomed to hear (read) it from our cousins fron the other side of the river!! rotflmo

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote